Should ADA aquasoil be replaced?

craynerd

Junior Poster
May 29, 2006
Hi,

I have been debating this with a few hobbiests for a while now and would like the get Toms and other members opinions.

Should aquasoil be replaced after ~12 months and if so why?

I have heard a few times that it should be but i am now very unclear about the situation.

Chris

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Should ADA aquasoil be replaced?

I'm not certain, the effects on growth likely are reduced after 12-24 months.
But using the EI and good water column ferts does not cause any issues and will increase the time, since less is drawn from the substrate.

I think it depends on what you call depleted and how you like to fertilize etc.
Some might opt to do this replacement, but I dout many will.

Regards,
Tom Barr

detlef

Jan 24, 2005
Cologne, Germany

Chris,

I have used AS in one tank for more than 2 years without noticing any negativ effects on plant growth (Eusteralis, Rotalas, Ludwigia, Micranthemum, Glosso). Yet I started fertilizing AS with ADA iron bottom and multi bottom after about 4 months on a regular basis.

Regards,
Detlef

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

If we were farmers, growing tomatoes, corn, wheat, etc. on our rich river loam farms, would we be thinking about replacing the soil now that it is depleted? Nope, we would have been fertilizing all along, and would only be adjusting our fertilizing to account for the lower level of natural nutrients in the soil. I don't see how our under water "farming" is any different.

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

The nutrients in the topsoil substrate used in Walstad-type natural tanks becomes exhausted in a year or two. Supposedly the natural processes in the tank will then provide the required nutrients, if there are enough fish and plants present.

If that is true for topsoil substrates, it should also be true for the boutique substrates like ADA. Right?

Bill

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

It would be true if we used low light levels, so the plants demands were low enough for the natural processes to be sufficient. But, it won't be true for high light tanks.

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

VaughnH said:
It would be true if we used low light levels, so the plants demands were low enough for the natural processes to be sufficient. But, it won't be true for high light tanks.

My point was that both kinds of substrates will "wear out", as it were. Low light tanks can (supposedly) then get their nutrients solely from the natural processes. High light tanks will need dosing, but since they need dosing anyway, even when the substrates are new, it isn't much of a change.

Bill