Share your best source for freshwater plants

Jim in Michiana

Junior Poster
Mar 10, 2009
I've got all the hardware together....... WOOHOO !!! YAY !!! WHOOPEE !!!

Now.........

I need some plants............

I'm stocking a 135g, and figure I'm gonna drop between $300-$500 on plants alone........ Anyone have a source for QUALITY plants ? Obviously I'd like to get them locally from a grower, but I believe that most / all the growers are down south where the utilities won't kill them during winter months.

So............

If you know of a local aquatic plant grower, ( I'm in NW Indiana) please tell me.......

Otherwise, please give me the names (links) of plant growers/shippers you've dealt with in the past and have been EXTREMELY satisfied with the merchandise & service.

Thanks, Jim

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Jim,

I know the joy of setting up a new tank!

This may be a good source of plants for you: AquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants & aquarium products community.. At least they are close to you. I've never ordered there, but other folks have and have had good experiences with them.

See if there is a local club in your area -- in the clubs, you typically find a bunch of nice folks who are willing to give you their plant clippings and share a lot of knowledge.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
By far, the best source of plants I have found is the other members of my local aquatic plant club. Anyone with a well lighted tank planted with stem plants, will have a bucket full of cuttings to dispose of every week or two, and our members bring a good selection of those to our monthly meetings. Plus, we use our mail list to find takers for the plants between meetings.

You can use google and the forums to see if there is a local group in easy driving distance from you.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I lack any sort of FW aquarium club in my area. Most of the time, plants have been acquired through carefully looking through the LFS's. I ordered off of aquariumplants.com a few weeks ago for pots of HC, glosso and a couple other plants. They were shipped overnight, and everything came in looking very healthy. At worst, I'd say the anubias nana petite was pretty high priced for how "petite" it was. I've gotten better deals locally. Otherwise, everything else was cheap and healthy, no algae, but no roots/crowns either. The micranthemoides had pretty minimal branching on it; mostly just strands. That being said, they do seem to sell show quality plants for an arm and a leg now and then.

-Philosophos

melauriga

Junior Poster
Mar 11, 2009
From other hobbyists through classified ads in various aquascaping and planted aquarium forums.

torpedobarb

Junior Poster
Jun 23, 2008
NW Indiana
I sent a pm.. I live in NW Indiana too.. I can see what I might have that you would want.

I too have ordered from aquariumplants.com I had some good luck.. but I bought some that I paid for and didn't get.. they then told me that they were backordered or whatever and it took over a month.

Ken