This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Setting up my 135

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by les2011, Jul 13, 2011.

1. les2011

les2011 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:13 PM
    I have a 135 gallon aquarium, in which I'm looking to go with a planted Discus community setup. Going with driftwood and caves as my hard scape because I would like to go with a mix of Discus, Congo & albino Congo tetras, a mix of Cory cats, 2x albino long fin busynose plecos, 2x golden dojo loach, some koi swordtails, and a mix of red cherry shrimp and orange halo shrimp. I'm still mulling over my filtration choices: a dedicated wet dry filter with dual overflows and a secondary canister filter, or 2 dedicated canister filters. Lighting I would like a 72" LED setup or power compact. A hydor in line heater, and I need to decide on the CO2 setup as this is the only part I'm new to, being that I've had a 125 aquarium prior to this one. Which I still own as well and am thinking of going salt with that one, because I've always wanted to try my hand at a saltwater community setup. As far as ordering Discus I've seen a lot of info on this forum about Hans and I've also talked with him as well but I haven't heard anything about Discus Madness out of Union, NJ, so I wanted to know if anyone has ordered from him as well and what are your thoughts.

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:13 PM
    A mix of discus and congo tetras might not be an optimal choice. Congo tetras are very fast eaters and discus are very bad when it comes to food competition. The congos might also munch your shrimp. Keep that in mind. A school of congo tetras is an eye catcher, but so are discus. Choices, choices...;)

When buying a CO2 setup for your tank, make sure it's capacity is adequate, even a bit overdone can't hurt.

Nikolyator likes this.