This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Sera flore 500 reactor efficiency

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by dan-dandelion, Oct 30, 2013.

1. dan-dandelion

dan-dandelion New Member

Local Time:
    7:28 AM
    Guys,

Is anyone using Sera Flore 500 reactor? I installed one a few days ago and so far, my feelings about it are mixed. What bothers me is that I can see tiny bubbles going out of my outlet pipe, but I expected 100% efficiency. Can it be so that the water flow through the reactor is too fast?

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    I have two Sera 1000 and feel it is too small and underpowered. Still seeing tiny bubbles going out the outlet. So I'd have definitely felt that way with the 500. If your filter is pushing water thru really fast, then you'll have issues. A hypothetical Sera 2000 with twice the diameter and height would work nicely.

3. dan-dandelion

dan-dandelion New Member

Local Time:
    Did you try to improve the efficiency? For example, reduce the water flow speed or putting some bioballs inside?

4. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Here's a general principle that will make any CO2 reactor more efficient: turbulence increases dissolution rate, NOT dwell time. So the Sera and other similarly styled reactors will always be poor because they are designed to increase dwell time, not the amount of turbulence. So, anything you do to increase the amount of turbulence in the reactor will increase dissolution rate.

Adding bioballs or other funky shaped objects in the reactor is one way of increasing turbulence.
    And a large pore foam at the bottom or in the outlet tube of the reactor will help prevent, but maybe not eliminate, the bubbles from escaping without dissolving.

#4 Solcielo lawrencia, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
  5. dan-dandelion

dan-dandelion New Member

Local Time:
    This is a very interesting observation. As far as I understand the design, Sera Flore increases the turbulence with the impellers at the top of the reactor, and I see the bubbles going down in spirals inside the reactor's body. Isn't it turbulence or I get the concept wrong?

6. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    The impeller's purpose is the break up larger bubbles so that it is smaller. It does not create turbulence. The bubbles are spiraling because they are caught in the water's current, where there is little turbulence and relies upon passive diffusion to achieve dissolution.

7. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have an Ista Mix Max reactor. It's basically a cheaper version of the Sera. It too, produces very small bubbles in the aquarium. Not as much visually as a diffuser but, none the less noticeable. I just like think of it as a more "efficient" diffuser. The advantages are, that it is in the stand so, the noise is reduced, I don't hear bubbles hitting an impeller, and it doesn have to be cleaned as often as your standard ceramic diffuser. Since the CO2 is in bubbles, you do have to be mindful of the current in your aquarium so that the bubbles pass by your plants throughout the entire aquarium. I have my Ista powered by a separate water pump that is also in the stand. I did this because I found the Ista to be too much of a restriction on my canister filter.