This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Separating dosing macros and micros during day/night

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Justlikeapill, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Justlikeapill

Justlikeapill New Member

Local Time:
    3:04 AM
    I am a subscribing member but never come here for some reason, so figured I would try here with my question before I went to another forum.

This is mostly a theoretical question, but since I am already using an autodoser for micros and macros, is there any point in dosing one during the day and the other at night, or can I just dose them both 24/7 as I have been doing?

I am a bit paranoid that dosing them 24/7 together will make them react with each other or something. It could be entirely all in my head, but I feel like my water is clearest when my doser is turned off... And I do run an ozone reactor during night only (I don't know if it actually is doing anything in fresh water to make it worth the space and hassle, another post on that later) so it doesn't drive off co2 during the day, so I'm thinking if I dose micros during the day then they can be used/sequestered by the plants before the ozone has a chance to oxidize them and potentially render some of it unusable when that flips on at night, but maybe the more basic macros being dosed at night won't be affected or reacted with the micros since they are being dosed separately based on photoperiod and not both simultaneously 24/7.

Just some thoughts I had. It could all me in my head, I am a bit of a hypochondriac. I filter the effluent air and water from the O3 reactor through a carbon chamber, and place a polyester filter pad on top of the carbon granules to prevent them from grinding against each other. I noticed a brown deposition that is not present in the canister filter, which leads me to believe that might be iron oxidizing. On the other hand, my ORP probe shows no difference in water exiting the reactor versus display tank water, which you think it would. So I don't know if it's doing anything or I'm imagining things.

Actually, if anyone could reccomend any good reading material on freshwater-specific ORP interpretation/O3 use, I'd love to see it. I have read and researched all I can for several months. Virtually everything is saltwater specific.

#1 Justlikeapill, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
  2. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Not sure how or why you would dose both 24/7, but I use auto doser as well and dose 6x a week (exclude WC day). As for timing, I do what I remember Tom recommending, I dose both at same time once a day about 30 min before lights on.

You may want to search this forum for ORP stuff, I seem to recall that the benefits were so small it wasn't worth monitoring, but I could be wrong.

3. Justlikeapill

Justlikeapill New Member

Local Time:
    Oh, I use a DOS by neptune systems. I just enter in how many ml's of each I want and it separates the dose in .1 ml increments over the course of 24 hours. That's the way it was already configured when I set it up and I never bothered to change it since a constant supply of smaller increments seems more natural/stable to me than a bolus at the start of every day. But if that is better I could tell it to do that, instead.

Untitled.jpeg

Untitled.jpeg

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    With the Fusion app you can split those and dose say macros on one day and traces on the other instead of just a daily split times. This can separate more and you do not gain any real advantage with daily vs every other day.

5. Justlikeapill

Justlikeapill New Member

Local Time:
    So in other words, it doesn't really matter what I do, right? I may as well just leave it alone, then.