This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking Advice for 40 Gallon Breeder, potential next tank

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Doc7, May 8, 2011.

1. Doc7

Doc7 Member

Local Time:
    8:38 AM
    newest fts:

[​IMG]

Of course I'm just packing as much plant mass in as I can and this isn't supposed to resemble a beautiful aquascape, although I did try to keep it a little bit aesthetically pleasing. I got several dozen stems of Rotala today and didn't uproot the whole tank to plant them, instead putting them where I could make room. 4 drop checkers in there as well now, using them as a bit of a crutch to get used to CO2.

Here's a closeup of the front left rotala green corner, I will have to work on my filter flow again ome more now that these are opposite the tank from the 2217 spraybar which seems to be aiming right for them! lol...

9u0nbq.jpg

Finally here's a shot under my stand of my electrical setup - only one plug leaves the stand, the outlet installed at the bottom left there is a GFCI outlet which I wired up and plugs into a regular wall outlet. The two Rosewill RPS-200 strips then plug into that, and all my equipment plugs into those. That's the tank bottom directly above the strips.

[​IMG]

2. Doc7

Doc7 Member

Local Time:
    added first livestock today : 3 amano shrimp. I'll likely increase this number as time goes on, I just wanted to see if I could not gas my first livestock and I was successful. I may increase CO2 slightly again now (i had it lower for last few days in anticipation of these additions). Not sure how green my drop checker should really look but now I will be able to use the behavior of the shrimp to help gauge as well. I've been removing quite a bit of a long stringy green algae (may be "green string", "hair" or "thread" depending on where I read...it forms clumps of very thin strings that can extend up to a 2-3 inches, in masses of plants and especially on driftwood)

4 Otocinclus are now in my quarantine tank - hopefully they do well and in 4 weeks can go in the planted 40!

[​IMG]

#42 Doc7, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
  3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I like your c02 slow and careful c02 approach.. 4 DC in a 40gal :) goodness, you can move them around like chess pieces :)

I also appreciate your approach to the health of the animals...as the effects of c02 can be lethal to fish and shrimp....

I would wait until the stems seem stronger in 7-12 days and then group them better if you like...I have done the same when real estate is scarce......

Better to have MORE plants than less IMO esp for a new setup.

I am using TWO GFI outlets, both rated for around water usage....they are the plug and play type as I am in an apt, but still, good idea I think for folks to use them if possible....

Best of luck and keep us posted of developments.

4. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Are you still running the 2217's with the 2215 impellers? Are they working fine for you?

It was planted for about 7 weeks before you added the Amano shrimp, wasn't it?

The Amano shrimp should help with the green hairy type of alga. If these do OK, maybe you can add 20 to 40 more.

5. Doc7

Doc7 Member

Local Time:
    It's been running for 4 weeks now, prior to the addition of shrimp. I didn't fishless cycle or anything, but with this plant mass and only 3 of the shrimp as livestock I don't know if I will see any kind of negative cycle effects. Little buggers are good at hiding in this plant mass!

I have 1 of the 2217s with the Rex Reactor, and the other one I have with a 2215 impeller. They are working fine, and I am sure I will continue to adjust their flow paths as I rescape over the next few months to get to final desires (I may even *raise* the Coralife T5NO fixtures to try to get a more even spread...I really need to get my hands on a PAR meter to determine if this is effective or not).

I feel like with the pressurized CO2 system I built (thanks to this site) and the EI dosing regime (thanks to this site / Tom), that I am already on top of the things that make many newcomers nervous...

6. Doc7

Doc7 Member

Local Time:
    I built light rails (not as pretty as Tom Barr's) and raised the Coralifes about 1" above the tank - hopefully this will give me slight increase in spread so the rotala growth evens out across the tank and maybe slows down algae somewhat.

Latest pic - I was very pleasantly surprised when I compared this picture to my previous picture of the rotala growth.

[​IMG]

7. Doc7

Doc7 Member

Local Time:
    Everything is a little leggy (never seen Elodea as leggy as that which is growing in my aquarium searching online) BUT i have almost 0 algae now. The driftwood is spotless from the amano (up to 9 now). Otos in QT and 4 of them will be going into this tank in 2 weeks... Also added tetras (7) from my other 20 G

8. Doc7

Doc7 Member

Local Time:
    Latest issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist made me realize my Elodea isn't "leggy" - it just converted to the submersed form. I hadn't realized it could have that dramatic a conversion. Just an FYI for anyone looking at this setup.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk