seeding new tank with mulm - how to

growitnow

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2007
After removing filter baskets from pre-existing established cannister, bottom gunk = mulm which can be poured into new sustrate, to seed new tank.

But what about filter sponges, etc. Can you/is it advisable to simply squish pre-existing filter sponges into water column of new tank? Of course there are nitrifying (and other) bacteria there too, but is it "OK" to squish all that gunk into new tank?

thanks,
growitnow

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
The best place for that gunk is under the substrate, when you first set up the tank. The next best place is in the canister filter, ahead of the finer filtration media. The first place provides good bacteria for the substrate, and the second, of course, gives a head start to building up a nitrifying bacteria colony in the filter.

I don't see any benefit to putting that gunk into the water column in the tank.

jazzlvr123

Guru Class Expert
Jul 3, 2007
VaughnH;26421 said:
The best place for that gunk is under the substrate, when you first set up the tank. The next best place is in the canister filter, ahead of the finer filtration media. The first place provides good bacteria for the substrate, and the second, of course, gives a head start to building up a nitrifying bacteria colony in the filter.

I don't see any benefit to putting that gunk into the water column in the tank.

I agree you want to put it where bacteria colonization is beneficial hence the substrate and the filter if you put it directly in the water column thats just a recipe for cloudiness

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Placing sponges from established tanks in the new tank, even just floating around will help as they will be well colonized with nitrifying bacteria.

Many times if I place a large sponge in my display sump for a couple of weeks/months when I know I am going to setup a new tank. I then use this to help with the cycle. Better than pouring it into the water column yech lol.

I would rinse any filter material you have to get the dirt out and it rinses clean, but just don't use extremely hot or cold water to do it. Rinse it in a bucket of tank water.........You can then resue as needed.

This is why some folks only change half of their filter material at a time to keep the bed better........

susantroy1

Junior Poster
Jul 9, 2007
In seeding my new 135, I simply took 2 gal of tank water from my Discus tank and washed the polishing pads and bio sponges from the canister from the discus tank in a bucket, I then poured that into my overflow on the 135 and let the sump handle the mulm issues.

Troy