This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Securing HC to substrate

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Gerryd, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:16 AM
    Hey all,

I recently purchased 3 pots of HC.

I divided each pot into 4 sections and removed most of the rock wool.

I then used a paper clip bent into a U shape to pin the HC to the substrate (black flourite) until it gets a chance to secure itself.

I am hoping it would only br 10-14 days.............?????

Anybody think this will be an issue? Will the clip be bad for the water or inhabitants?

Anybody have a better idea to secure HC until it attaches?

How long WILL it take?????

Thanks,

2. Chiya

Chiya Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Hi Gerry,

I'm using a different substrate from you, but the grain size's about the same. (2-3mm)

For planting HC, I separate them as much as I can, about 5 stalks per cluster. Then I plant them very deep into the substrate with a pair of tweezers, leaving only the leaves above the soil.
    *remember not to crush the roots/stems. A previous experience resulted in them melting very quickly.

With the above planting, I'm able to spot growth within 2 weeks.
    I use approx 72W on a 30G.

P.S. I'd think the paper clip might be bad. I've seen badly rusted paper clips in toilet bowls.

Regards,
    Ryan

3. ibnozn

ibnozn Subscriber

Local Time:
    I'd suspect clumps that big would still want to lift off after only two weeks and any new leaves would also make the clumps even more bouyant.

I only plant a few sprigs together at a time using thin tipped tweezers. Push them down in, release and twist the tweezers around a bit so the substrate falls in around the plant before you pull the tweezers back out.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey,

Thanks very much for your replies.

It is exactly the info I was looking for................