This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Second tank

Discussion in 'Journals' started by skija, Mar 29, 2017.

1. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:25 AM
    Hi , i left the tank without CO2 and light 24 hours , PH is 7.5-7.6 , don't know why the water left in the glass 48 hours was measuring 8.2 , maybe was something wrong with the PH meter .

Tap water is 7.3 so maybe those rocks raise the PH a bit , but from 7.3 to 7.5 is not too much i guess .

Will try playing more with CO2 but don't know what to do next :(

2. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    9:25 PM
    Well, that's good then, forget about the water in the glass, maybe the glass itself raised the pH for some reason??! Anyway... start from 7.3 and aim for a 1.2 pH drop (6.1). That should be your lower end.

3. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Today i measured PH in the morning before CO2 goes on , was 7.3 , right after dosing KNO3 and KH2PO4 , about 1 minute , was going down to 7.1

Is this normal ?

Should i toss away these dry salts and try with other ferts ?

Thanks

4. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Tank PH is subject to many acids which lower PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, phosphate etc, CO2 equilibrium (CO2 from fish, bacteria, even plants at night), wood .......

PH in tank is generally lower than tap if not altered by KH additions or rocks. When plants consume carbonates which reduces KH thus reducing PH.

when you are adding frets you are essentially adding adics.

Nikolyator likes this.
  5. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    In addition to what rajkm said above here, bear in mind that pH is non-linear. Right around 7.0(completely neutral), the tiniest change in ppm of some acid or base will swing pH by 0.1-0.2. Further away from 7.0, it takes a lot more actual ppm to make a similar pH change. In your case, it was likely the KH2PO4 that did that little reduction.

The upshot: If you're right around 7.0, don't concern yourself with small differences. 0.1 to 0.2 difference means a whole lot more when you're at 5.5 or 8.5.

6. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the advices

7. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi , i bought an Aqua Medic 1000 reactor , and i can say it dissolves the co2 better than the ADA co2 glass diffuser , the difference is huge, but i got a small issue , i got gas build up on the top of the reactor after a few hours CO2 starts .

If i release the gas build up with the bleed valve the reactor fills up with water and and runs without any noise , but after 1-2 hours it starts to build up gas again . For me its clear that is CO2 build up , because if i release the gas with the bleed valve at 20:00 , when the co2 stops , it runs ok (without gas building up) till the morning when CO2 starts .

The tank is on a stand at 80 cm and the reactor is right under the tank , the filter is an Eheim 2071 . I read about this gas build up but it's not clear for me why is happening .

Its because i add too much CO2 to the reactor and the reactor cannot dissolve all the co2 ? Or shoud i place the reactor down on the floor near the filter (on the same level with the filter) ?

Anyone can advice ?

Thanks

8. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yeah, that's a typical problem with the AM, I have one too and the only way to deal with it is to insert a small tube on the vent hole from the top to 1/3 of the reactor, so that the excess Co2 vents out once it reaches about 1/3 of the reactor. Does this make sense?

9. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I don't understand 100 % , can you post a picture please ?

Thanks

edit : was thinking to put a CO2 diffuser on the bleed valve outlet and drive the co2 build up with the co2 diffuser in the tank , so i will not waist CO2 , dunno how efficient will be this method

a short video

#69 skija, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
  10. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    I am sorry I wasn't clear enough, unfortunately I don't have pictures of it because I am not using it with that design right now, but I did that in the past. In other words, the AM has two small holes at the top right? One is the intake of the Co2 with the long small pipe going to the bottom where Co2 bubbles exit, whereas the other hole is the vent which is usually closed. I was suggesting to unscrew that vent, put a small pipe long 1/3 of the reactor in place of that, so that the gas build-up vents out when it reaches 1/3 of the reactor.

You idea to use the Co2 diffuser is a good one, and could work. Another idea is to vent the build-up into a pump to chop-it down...

11. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I left the reactor to run without using the bleed valve and the gas build-up stopped after 2-3 hours the co2 addition was finished. The reactor was filled up again with water.

So, i guess this is normal.

12. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yes, if Co2 stops, the build-up will slowly dissolve and disappear. That's normal indeed.

13. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Adding a CO2 diffuser instead of the bleed valve is not working , the pressure is too low

14. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    That was exactly what happened to me, that's why I did what I described above.

15. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi , I trimmed rotala , and new growth has transparent leaves , well not all ,but most of it .
    Any one knows why ?
    Is this Iron defficiency ?

1.JPG

6.JPG

3.JPG

16. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    No one has any idea why is this happening?

17. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    How close are they to the light? im not a guru but could be they just need a trim and let the new growth replace that.

18. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The plants are on bottom of the tank , as i said before , this is new growth after they were trimmed

19. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Ill let someone else chime in :)

20. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well i made an cerges reactor size 7 and its really better that AM 1000 for my tank , co2 is dissolving better .
    I'll post some pictures soon , i just trimmed the plants

DutchMuch likes this.