This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Second tank

Discussion in 'Journals' started by skija, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    9:22 AM
    Is it possible your Po4 is precipitating from the water somehow? I don't think its constantly binding by what your dosing..

2. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Maybe that could possibly happen if you have very, very hard water? Not sure about that, but could be a possibility...

3. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:22 PM
    Calibrated the PH meter , here are the readings (CO2 starts at 10:30 , light starts at 12:00 and ends at 20:00)

Ph readings :

9:30 - ph 7.3 (this is before CO2 starts )

13:00 - ph 6.7

15:00 - ph 6.5

17:00 - ph 6.4

18:00 - ph 6.4

19:00 - ph 6.3

I guess everything is OK

#43 skija, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  4. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    The drop is ok yes, but the speed of the drop should be more rapid...

5. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Right now CO2 is starting at 10:30 , light is on at 12:00 .

Should i start CO2 earlier ? like 10:00 ?

6. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    u want 6.3 in two hours, this is slow enough for fish, but enough to provide plants going on to the photosynthesis. I do not know ph controller, I never use this before...Start co2 half hr before.

7. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I don't have a PH controller , will start CO2 two hours before light goes on and see if its better then now , Now is set to start one and a half hour before light goes on

8. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Either start much earlier (8 am?) or increase Co2 rate. Ideally you should reach 1 pH drop 1-2 hours max into the photo period. If you have issues with fish and livestock by increasing Co2, you should increase surface agitation, open your tank or use a wet/dry filter to increase the oxygen level.

9. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ok , thanks for the answers , will try to drop the ph with 1 in 1-2 hours after light starts .

10. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    You're welcome. Yes, I think that'll help :)

11. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi , from your experience glossostigma elatinoides growing up is CO2 deficiency ?

Thanks

12. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    Light deficiency

13. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi ,

So now after dosing 2.5 ppm of PO4 each day , now i can keep 2 ppm levels of PO4 in the tank after 1 week . I have around 10-15 ppm of NO3 , around 2ppm of PO4 and 0.3 - 0.4 ppm of Fe in the tank .

Dosing micros afternoon , no other possibility since i dose macros in the morning when i go to work and can dose micros only after i come back

I dose macros in the morning at 8:00 AM , CO2 starts at 10:00 AM and lightning starts at 12:00 and ends at 20:00 .

As i said i dose micros at around 17:30 when i'm back home from work

Completely removed monte carlo and replaced it with glossostigma .

CO2 starts 2 hours before the photo period and i will monitor tomorrow from hour to hour to see how it drops ,hope i will be home all day

14. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Good news Skija. So, you are dosing PO4 daily, but micros daily as well or on alternate days?

Also, any specific reason why you replaced Montecarlo with Glosso? Just curious...

15. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm dosing KNO3 and KH2PO4 daily in the morning at 8:00 AM and Iron/micros around 17:30 when i get back from work on the same day , daily

I started to hate Monte carlo , couldn't grew it how i wanted in my tanks , i had cuba on my first tank and it was ok , but monte carlo loosing stems ,,,,getting transparent leaves...

Ph in the tank is 7.3 in the morning before lights go on , CO2 starts 2 hours before light and when light starts is 6.4 . Then seems that Ph stays 6.4 all day when CO2 and lights are on .

Should i try lowering it more ? 6.3 maybe 6.2 ?

16. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Ok, I see... how much micros do you dose for each daily dose? Sorry I you already posted this info...

As for Co2, it looks ok, but would be great to know your pH when water is fully degassed. You should try to get some tank water into a glass, leave that there for 48 hours then measure the pH. That'll be the fully degassed water pH. From there, you should aim for a 1.2-1.3 pH drop to be super-safe and be sure you have enough Co2.

The experience you are describing with Montecarlo puzzles me, I find Montecarlo a very easy plant, much easier than Glosso with always gave me problems.... but of course, every tank is different. Transparent leaves usually means plants is adapting to different conditions (in my experience)... nothing really specific. Please, if I am wrong, correct me. That's been just my experience and observations.

17. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Good idea with the water drained from the tank . i will leave it for 48 hours and measure the ph .

Also will try to lower the ph more than 1 , will try 1.2 -1.3

Tap water has Ph 7.3

What concerns me now is rotala which is an easy plant , this one melted 2 weeks ago , had transparent leaves , i trimmed it and now it grows slowly and has some stunted tips . Will see how it goes next days .

Glossostigma seems to grow up , planted it 2 days ago .

Pinnatifida seems to be ok , grows really well and fast

#57 skija, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  18. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yes, try measure and aim for that pH drop.

My rotala also sometimes develops transparent leaves, usually when things change.... for example, I recently re-made completely my tank, and both Rotalas and another couple of plants developed some transparent leaves. I think that's because of the different water organics, nutrients, environment, less light, more light, etc... I am confident those problems will disappear as soon as they'll be adapted to the new environment. That can take several weeks though...

19. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well i left 200 ml tank water into a glass for 48 hours , and PH is 8.2 .

Now this is strange .....Tap water is 7.3

Ph in the tank is 7.3 in the morning before lights and CO2 goes on .

I will leave the tank one day without lights and CO2 and measure the PH .

I have in the tank one bag on 9 litre AS, iron wood and 5 pcs of frodo stone. The wood and the AS should lower the ph but are these all lowering the PH from 8.2 to 7.3 ?

One more thing , today i did WC , about 60 % but i haven't seen that "fake pearling" after WC , you know what i mean , and this is really weird

#59 skija, May 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  20. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Well, here is my possible explanation to your question: I think the stones in your tank higher the pH up to 8.2, but with the fact you pump Co2 during the day, you measure pH 7.3 when it is NOT completely degassed... so, it is not the pH 7.3 lowered by Aquasoil, but by your used Co2 during the day.

Yes, try to let the tank go over 24 hours without Co2 and see if the pH raises back to 8.2, if so, that means your stones are raising the pH.