This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Second tank

Discussion in 'Journals' started by skija, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Bongox3

Bongox3 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:55 PM
    Hope you don't mind my asking (as I'm a rookie)... but is the mc a transfer from another tank or recently purchased online or at a LFS?

2. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Its purchased from a shop , in vitro plants , in gel , its from Tropica

https://www.google.ro/imgres?imgurl=...act=mrc&uact=8

#22 skija, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  3. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Dosing 4.5 ppm of PO4 now every other day in the morning , and still got around 0.5 ppm second day after noon .

Is this normal ?

Will try to increase PO4 dosing to 5.5 ppm

NO3 is around 15-20

Plants not doing too well .....

4. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    9:55 AM
    Thats an insane amount P. What makes you think you need that much? It doesnt seem to be helping the plants?

I'd cut that way down and not worry what the test kit says. According to the experts, plenty of P in Aquasoil to begin with.

5. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Maybe that's the reason why my plants don't grow ???? and i still have some GSA here and there

Stauros getting GSA and leaves falling off , pale yellow tips on old grow on microsorum , MC stems are breaking and floating ,MC leaves are getting yellow , they grow 2-3 days and then stem is breaking , rotala glassy/transparent leaves both old and new growth .

Only pinnatifida is growing like crazy and doing well.

I dose 15 ppm KNO3 , 4.5 ppm KH2PO4 , 0,5 ppm profito and ferro from easy life , co2 i can't go higher , fish are gasping at water surface , flow i have a lot , Eheim 2071 filter + a water pump , water is going round and round in the tank because i can see the co2 bubbles in the tank .

Ph drops in the morning before co2 starts from around 7.5 to 6.5 after about 2-3 hours of adding co2 , maybe dropping more , bought a PH meter today but battery is dead so need to buy other batteries tomorrow

Light is at 20 cm above water surface 2 x 24 W , is not that hight at all , i can say its medium light .

Tank is 7 weeks old , new AS , filter is from old tank already cycled and stuf...., plants are from the old tank , everything was fine till 1 week ago when they stopped growing and had GSA everywhere

What i'm doing wrong ?

#25 skija, Apr 11, 2017
  6. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Dosing 10 times more ferts than you need would be my guess, based on the the above anyway.

That's Tom Barr level macros and near twice his micros, and I believe he generally does two 70-80% water changes per week!

Brand new Aquasoil doesnt even need much dosing for the first few months, K and Fe mostly if I understand right.

#26 burr740, Apr 11, 2017
  7. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Dennis Wong has stated in past that he doses more Phosphate than Nitrate and I believe his levels are higher than yours.

However, what could be happening is precipitation of Phosphate since its notorious with binding to Iron and others. I also recently re-did my tank and lost all of my E Hydropiper except a few which is showing signs of growth. All you need is some such stems and they will grow back.

The melting is mostly high organics and ammonia/nutrients leaching out of aquasoil. Give it some time. keep lights low and concentrate on growth instead of pearling. My plants barely pearl at 40-50 umol but they dont stop growing.

8. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Good advice above.

If I had Aquasoil that's less than 2 months old, I'd completely skip ferts. May be a hint of iron and K once a week. If you have well-fed fish, you don't need anything with new aquasoil.

Lower light. Lower or stop dosing ferts. Everything will self-correct.

9. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I will try lower ferts if you all say this , but if i dose less then 3 ppm of KH2PO4 i got GSA in 3 days .

Will try it anyway and see how it works after 1 week

About precipitation of Phosphate with Iron i don't know what to say , i'm dosing micros and macros on different days .

Thanks

10. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    7:55 AM
    Water change x2 time week

11. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Doing that since the beggining , first month was doing even 3 WC/week , now doing 2 of 60-70%

#31 skija, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  12. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Give it more than 3 days to adjust. Plants have to re-allocate their resources whenever there's a dramatic change in nutrient levels.

When the plants get healthy it will go away.

Dosing high P levels may somehow kill it, but the same thing causes gsa that causes every other algae - unhealthy plants

Focus on the plants instead of the algae. When things get right it'll disappear before your eyes.

13. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ok , will do large water changes to remove "extra" nutrients from water , but ater that i will have to fertilize again , AS is getting 2 months soon .

Can anyone suggest some dosing regimes or targets to achieve after these water changes ? (micros and macros )

Thanks

14. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I bought a digital PH meter as i said , after 3 hours of lighting and CO2 i got a PH of 6.5 , will see how much i have next morning before CO2 goes on or in the night after a few hours CO2 goes off.

Any other ideas when to measure ?

15. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The next day, right before the CO2 starts is the most telling. Your water most likely won't fully degas in that time. Once in a while I pull a tank water sample and degas it for 2-3 days, I find that it tests 0.1 to 0.15 higher pH than the tank water rises by CO2 start the next day.

16. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Looks like in the morning before CO2 goes on the PH its 7.4 - 7.5 ,

Gonna do another big WC tomorrow and then slowly start ferts again , main time i raised up the light a bit

#36 skija, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  17. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I did more measurements , 3-4 days , ph in the morning is 7.8 (before co2 starts) and before lights go off its 6.8

I guess this is ok

I changed the level of ferts added to normal EI levels , but i see no changes .......plants are not doing well , rotala has pale new growth , stem of rotala is tiny , anubias which in the shade is rotting and new growth is yellow.....MC not growing,

The only plant which is growing ok is pinnatifida .

I still believe everything is related somehow to PO4 , even now with new levels of dosing i have very low PO4 levels , maybe less then 0.5 ppm , maybe zero ,

And even when i was dosing 5 ppm of PO4 next day i had the same ...0.5 ppm . Can someone explain why is this happening with PO4 ?

Why i can't keep higher levels of PO4 in the tank ?

#37 skija, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  18. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    That's weird... I see just 3 possibilities:

1. Your plants are P hogs... (unlikely that much, mostly because they are not growing well)

2. Your P precipitate or binds with something else (do you dose it together with any micros? Your substrate maybe absorbs it abnormally for some reason?)

3. Your test kit is bad

4. Your P batch is bad. That may be wrong, one time I bought a mix on eBay, was supposed to be pure KH2PO4, but was instead mixed with something else (damn!!)

No more ideas...

19. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well ...:

1- except pinnatifida which is growing really well and i know this one loves PO4 , stauros started to recover and have nice big leaves , but stauros are slow growers

2- i dose macros on day one , micros on day two and so on , one day macro , one day micro , maybe AS absorbs so much PO4 ? anyone knows ?

3 - maybe , but i tested with JBL tests and Tetra test , can't be both bad :) , oh and by the way , right after i dose 3 ppm of KH2PO4 test are showing exactly the same values , both JBL and Tetra

4- don't think my P is bad , I switched to tropica specialized for 1 week (after 2 big WC) and tests were measuring the same low PO4 levels (nearly zero)

My plan is to dose daily 2-3 ppm of PO4 and see if i can keep 2 ppm level of PO4 in the tank .

Anyone has other advices ?

Thanks

20. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Yes, I second your idea of try dosing more PO4, maybe dose it early in the morning and dose traces a few hours later when you are on micros day to avoid any binding. About AS, I don't think it can absorb P at that rate, but I have never worked with AS in a high-tech tank, so I can't really speak...