This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Second tank

Discussion in 'Journals' started by skija, Mar 29, 2017.

1. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:53 PM
    Hello guys , i made another tank

First one was this http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr...ro-and-mc-melt

Hardscape some wood and frodo stone .

60x35x35 cm , light 2x24 about at 18-20 cm from water surface , filter Eheim 2071 with matrix (filter is from other tank so the media was cycled) .

New ADA AS , water temp 24-25 celsius

Plants : rotala , pinnatifida , microsorum trident , moss , staurogyne , some crypts, small anubias and monte carlo .

Amano shrimps , rasbora galaxy and rasbora hengeli.

Also have a skimmer that runs on a timer 2-3 minutes every 3-4 hours , and a small eheim pump over the co2 diffuser to help with CO2 distribution .Drop checker is yellow after a few hours co2 starts.

I was running the skimmer all night till the morning to degass the tank but i will stop that today . Maybe i degass too much ?

Tank has almost 5 weeks . First 2 weeks i haven't dosed anything , then started 1/2 EI and now im full EI because i run into deficiencies , had GSA on plants and glass but not that is fixed

I dose 15 ppm KNO3 , 3 ppm KH2PO4 and 0.5 ppm Iron (Easy life) each other day , one day macro , one day micro...and so on.

WC in weekend 60-70 %

Co2 starts one hour before light in the morning . Light starts at 9:00 AM till 13:00 then pause and then again from 16:00 till 21:00 . so in totatl 9 hours per day . I dont thinks is too much .

I need to do this because the room where the tank is has light in the morning and plants wake up and need CO2 ,can see this in rotala because is bending in the light direction .

I had the same problem than in the other tank ,can't get stauros and monte carlo growing . The pump on the right side of the tank is driving the co2 right on the top of monte carlo .

I have around 10 ppm of NO3 , about 1.5 ppm of PO4 and around 0.3-0.4 Fe in the tank .

Flow is really good .

2 days ago i lowered the light from 24 cm to 20 cm and i saw some minor perling on monte carlo .

The main issue is that stauros and monte carlo are loosing leaves , they grow really slow and MC has also stunted growth in some areas. MC also loosing stems , basicaly some stems are breaking and then leaving the soil and floating

to the surface .

Stauros are also pale and they lost some leaves but they look a bit better now but still pale .

The other plants are fine , rotala is growing fast , pinnatifida ok had some GSA but recovered after i raised PO4 , crypts are slow but they look ok , microsorum looks good

Is this CO2 issue ? Is driding me crazy .

Please let me know if you need more info .

I added some glossostigma leaves to the front of the tank but they grow up .

Thanks

​​​​​​​

#1 skija, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Tank is still new. Give it another month. Do two water changes per week. There is plenty of nutrients in the new aquasoil, you can reduce your dosing in half or more.

3. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Doing 2 water changes per week now , i forgot to mention

In the first 3 weeks i'we done 3 WC per week

If i dose less then 3 ppm of KH2PO4 every other day i get GSA on glass and plants

4. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I know this sounds stupid but why would the amano shrimp uproot the monte carlo ?

I mean i got a lot of monte carlo uprooted in the night because when i wake up in the morning i see monte carlo floating but i see none in the daytime .

I see amano shrimp in the morning right near the monte carlo uprooted stems , looks like they are digging under the plant .

Anyone seen this before ? Are they hungry ? Or i am paranoia ? :D

5. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    6:53 AM
    Shrimp eat eithe algae or rotten/dying plants... So... Either your Montecarlo has algae on it or they are suffering and some leaves are melting,,attracting shrimp that can uproot them if the plant is already week of its own. Just an idea...

6. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I don't have algae but some of the monte carlo stems are breaking in two and this is bothering me , what would be the reason for this ? CO2 ? or what nutrient ?

As i said its happening in the night because in the daytime i don't see any in the tank

The other issue is that monte carlo is not really growing or growing really slow

#6 skija, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  7. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Forgot to add Kh 5 , Gh 7

8. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    What light do you have? Do you know your PAR?

9. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    i have 2 x 24 at 18 cm above water surface

According to rotalabutterfly i got this https://img.plici.ro/image/mSK

Why i can't upload images ?

Got an error saying invalid file

10. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    If so, you have pretty high light. T5s are anyway powerful. I'd try to lower light by either raising the lights further or by shortening the photoperiod. Lower light = more chances for plants to recover in case they are constraint for any reason.

11. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Tried that , light was at 25 cm above water and i did the opposite (i know its strange) i lowered the light from 25 cm to 18 cm and now i see pearling on MC .

I'll keep it like this for 1 week and see how it goes , its strange that only MC and stauros are not growing very well and i had the same problem in the other tank

This is what is bothering me , MC and stauros :(

Or maybe wait one more month as Pikez said in post #2

12. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I dose 3.5 ppm KH2PO4 and 15 ppm KNO3 in the morning (measured with rotalabuttefly and tests) and second day i only have 0.5 ppm PO4, maybe less in the tank

Anyone have a clue ?

NO3 stays around 10 ppm

I also upped the CO2 a bit today

Anyone knows how the plants look if they have PO4 deficiency ? (except GSA on leaves or glass) ?

Thanks

#12 skija, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017
  13. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    PO4 / phosphate deficiency includes GSA, pale/yellow leaves, leaves can also fall off easier.

2 people like this.
  14. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ok Jason , thanks, will add a bit more KH2PO4 then since i have these symptoms , will try to add 4.5 ppm of PO4 instead of 3.5 ppm

15. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Test image upload for skija

Untitled1.jpg

Nikolyator likes this.
  16. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Nice thank! Is that you tank Skija? Very nice...

17. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes its mine , i tried to do something simple and easy for maintenance , nothing complicate hardscape wise , i have a small daughter and don't have so much time any more for the tank :)

2 people like this.
  18. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    I know what you mean, kids, family... Sometimes I feel guilty spending every weekend cleaning and trimming the tank. But the result is there, keep it up as much as you can!

19. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    https://img.plici.ro/image/m3b

https://img.plici.ro/image/m3f

Guys something is very wrong/bad

I was at home for 3 days , i increased CO2 a lot (almost double , i even see plants pearling after a fer hours ) , drop checker is yellow .

First picture is from monte carlo , this is what i get in the morning at the surface of the tank :(

Rotala was trimmed 5-6 day ago , its growing but i saw today that the new leaves are transparent (glassy) ....also the old leaves are transparent and small , never has this since i started the tank , i trimmed rotala twice till now in almost 2 months and grew back very well , also had less CO2 at that time .

Please tell me what is this , i'm going crazy :( , it cannot be CO2 .....

I don't think its CO2 because when i started the tank (almost 2 months ago ) everything was growing fine , so i think some nutrients run out of soil ?

I also see signs of GDA on the glass

#19 skija, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  20. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi again , anyone have any idea why after i'm dosing 4.5 ppm of KH2PO4 in the morning (monday morning) , after almost 2 days ( thuesday night ) i got only around 0.5 ppm ?I

I do have microsorum and pinnatifida in the tank and 2-3 anubias and the truth is that pinnatifida is growing like crazy

Is this normal ?

#20 skija, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017