This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Seachems Flourite Substrate

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by FraserNZ, Apr 24, 2012.

1. FraserNZ

FraserNZ Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:28 PM
    Hi Guys,

First time poster on this forum, and I have to say I'm really impressed with all the information this site has!

Anyway, I'm about to setup my second planted tank, and I'm intending to use Flourite (only) as my substrate as its the only nutrient based substrate available here in New Zealand that does not require a top layer. This factor is important to me as I like to be able to move plants in the aquarium without making a massive mess!

I am intending to carpet most of the tank area in Glosso, so its quite important that the Flourite will supply enough nutrients for the Glosso to carpet effectively (I'll also be dosing fertilizer into the water column). I have the option of Flourite, and Flourite Sand so if any particular type is going to be more worth while I'll go with that, or maybe a mix?

PS - I'm really hoping that the Flourite good enough as a stand alone product as we are very limited here in New Zealand when it comes to Aquascaping supplies :( ADA products are only a dream!!

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Welcome. I am fairly certain that Flourite is NOT enriched and is inert for the most part. That being said, I have grown many plants including glosso, HC, and stauro repens 409 in black flourite. I did use c02 and EI.

3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

Hi,

Glosso as in Glossostigma elatinoides doesn’t care much about substrate, does fine in plain sand on rocks and driftwood, other plants, I am sure if Florin Ilia had Glosso it would be growing on his snails!
    :surprise:

Glosso is good as a monoculture varying the light varies the growth of the plant.
    :)

Glosso can take over the tank and fight you for the TV remote where it will spend all your money on new release movies and get on the shopping networks and by every gadget Ronco ever made!
    :eek:

Biollante

4. FraserNZ

FraserNZ Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for your response guys :)

Like I said in my first post, we are very limited down here for what we use as subsrates so most aquarium supply shops claim that flourite is a nutrient based substrate...

I have copied the below from our local shops website, which lists the nutrients

Concentration of nutrients in Flourite Black Sand™
    Aluminum 33510
    Barium 19
    Calcium 20950
    Cobalt 4
    Chromium 7
    copper 17
    Iron 4338
    Potassium 374
    Magnesium 1868
    Manganese 51
    Sodium 5484
    Nickel 9
    Vanadium 11
    Zinc 9

5. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Nosey Creatures Them Evil Plant Monsters Is

Hi,

Where is “down here?”
    :confused:

Biollante

6. FraserNZ

FraserNZ Junior Poster

Local Time:
    New Zealand

7. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    These seem to be mostly trace elements.... what about NPK? I see potassium but unsure if that is enough...

I am not the scientific type. I tend to overdose EI :)

If you can add some root tabs or fertcicles even periodically it will help. Plants can take nutrients from either/or/both the water column and the substrate. With an insert substrate water column dosing becomes more vital and is better to supply a bit more than needed.

I used and like flourite for years and was really happy with it. Just now trying ADA for the first time...

Hope this helps.

8. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I've used Flourite for years and I still have to fert the substrate. I've heard it to be inert, but Seachem says otherwise. Just my experience that it doesn't have enough ferts in it.