This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Seachem Stability Algae Booster

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by quincieadams, Jul 16, 2012.

1. quincieadams

quincieadams Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:21 AM
    Question for folks out there, could Seachem Stability be the root of My algae problem?

Since i redid my tank awhile back i was using prime as my dechlorinator. For some reason after i ran out i switched to Stability. After rereading the label yesterday this stuff is used on new tanks and adds bacteria!

Could this be the cause for my algae, it seems as tho I've had an increase of algae since making the switch. I first thought it was cause by my nephew turning the knob on the needle valve but have since leveled off/not changed the rate of it in months.

I'm guessing there will not be every many people that have used this on a tank that has been running for years now but any feedback is appreciated.

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sure Hope Your Name Is John, If Not, It Is CO2, Get The CO2 Right, Everything Will...

Hi (?John?),

Two possibilities occur both are speculative.:rolleyes: I have no basis for any calculations without knowing about your tank, tap water quality, how often/much water you change, but on the possibility you are a descendant of our 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Presidents,;) I will risk the conjecture.:eek-new:

First, your tank water quality is superb, high ORP, little organic material that you change a lot of water and lives in a place where they chlorinate heavily, especially in the spring and summer. This could add enough free chlorine to damage your biological filter and cause the algae to think you need some help eliminating organic material from the system.:)

Second the possibility that Seachem Stability bacteria are competing with the established bacteria. I do not know enough about Seachem Stability, but I have been observing bacteria for a while and I have noticed this when changes take place in the tanks and since our nitrifying bacteria are slow in reproducing (compared to most bacteria).:)

My two guesses…:cool:

Biollante

3. Jiinx

Jiinx Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Hello! (i'm hijacking threads, since I'm too shy to start my own! lol)

I have awful algae ..on the walls and on my driftwood..I add API stress zyme, which adds good bacteria to my tank. You've got me thinking..do you think adding too much bacteria could fuel my algae? It's slimy greenish/yellowish/brownish on the walls..and my water looks a bit green.

Doing my water change as I type .. to add bacteria or not to add bacteria!!

4. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    4:21 AM
    Ok. To start stability will not dechlorinate your water.. If you are adding tap water to your tank with stability you are adding chloramines straight to your tank. Use prime. Second stability is to be used for a period of 7 to 10 days continuously to establish a new virgin tank. After that, do not use.

There is no need to keep adding bacteria, unless you suspect a failure in your bio filter.

Btw, we are seachem silver certified, so if you have any other seachem questions I can answer them or get the answer from seachem.

I suspect you are having a breakdown somewhere. I do not like the fact you have been adding untreated tap water. You are definately breaking the nitrogen cycle that way.

Henry tomassini
    www.theplantedaquariumstore.com
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. quincieadams

quincieadams Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thats me "John" Quinceadams lol no not really just a nickname that stuck.

I think the problem is more in line that i haven't been dechlorinating the water.... I'm well aware "now" that Stability does "NOT" dechlorinate the water. lol i'll be picking up some Prime this weekend for sure.

PMJiinx, im not sure that adding more bacteria to our tanks would have this affect but in my case i believe not dechlorinating has "more" to do with it. Although adding Stability and not following directions I'm sure is not good at all.

6. scotwilson

scotwilson Junior Poster

Local Time:
    my tank had a major algae bloom.i couldnt see the back of the tank.dont buy chemicals reduce lighting hours for 4 days dont allow any sunlight/aquarium light enter.the condition should improve.i did this for mine and now i have crystal clear water