Seachem products for planted fishtank

anshuman

Prolific Poster
Dec 13, 2009
Mumbai India
hello everyone, I am going to setup 46 gallon tall Planted fishtank, I have 2 goldfish waiting to move into this tank but i want to get everything i need beforehand So i dont mess it up when moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_HaxwaLZQ

Thats my tank 29 gallon. Everything in there will be moved to tall 46 G.

Plants are Water wistera, Cabomba carolina, some dwarf-sag (testing) and marimo balls, Javamoss is tied to decoration, I want to carpet my 46 G with riccia too (will be tied up to mesh, dont worry)

My goldies are used to blanched greens and they use plants to dash on Only during spawning and laying eggs.

Now i want your guide on dosing Seachem products here, What should i order? NPK ? and Flourish? kindly guide.

I already dose this 29G tank with Excel and going to add DiyCo2 too to 46 G.

Thanks for reading this.

Last edited by a moderator:

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
What kind of lights will you have on the 46 and are you planning on adding CO2 or sticking with Excel?

What dosing method/plan are you going to use, for example PMDD or EI? What is your water change tolerance, as in how often are you willing to do a water change?

Are you planning on using the SeaChem products because they are available, or because you don't want to deal with dry/granular ferts?

For example, I dose dry KNO3 and KH2PO4 from aquariumfertilizer.com. To that I dose SeaChem Flourish on off days along with a little of the SeaChem Iron. I add higher levels of the Flourish as it seems to help and for my dosing and lighting the recommended SeaChem guide is a little lean for my tastes. Excel gets added daily in two of my tanks at the recommended dosage.

I use EI for the dosing plan and I change better than 50% of the water weekly as that's the starting point, but you can adjust things up/down as needed for more frequent changes or fewer. As presented it's a base starting point and intended to be customized for your tank.

-
S

anshuman

Prolific Poster
Dec 13, 2009
Mumbai India
* Going to stay with 1 watt per gallon , like i do in 29G
* After i decide on products, then i will schedule the dosage.
* I am planning to keep adding Excel and also Diy Co2 (I also got Co2 Drop checker).
* Yes, i can get seachem on Ebay, that's why the preference. I am ready to use Dry Ferts, But anyone know international shippers if i cannot find locally ( and i am sure I wont find it easily here in Mumbai India).
* The water change in NEW 46 G will depends on readings from API freshwater test kit, I dont plan to add Any new fish. Currently I change 40 % every week . (nitrates stay high around 40ppm , ammonia,nitrite always zero).

I just went through EI, i want to know are there any shippers to india (on ebay etc).

Hope my reply helps you to guide me :)

anshuman

Prolific Poster
Dec 13, 2009
Mumbai India
I just saw aquariumfertilizer.com do ship international, Will check with them. What should i order exactly and what will be sufficient quantity for "Well-Planted" 46 G tank? I wish the supply last for a year on my moderate dosage.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
If you need it, one of the GH booster. I've been dosing a couple of 40 gallon tanks and such and I'm just starting to hit the 1/3 to 1/2 mark on the KNO3, the KH2PO4 is still quite full. You may also want one of the CSM+B for micros and that's what EI was based on for micro ferts I believe. You will most likely be in the low light category so you shouldn't need to dose as much as well, which should make things that much easier for you. The water change weekly seems fine, you may not even need to dose nitrates if you have 40ppm in there but I'll let Biollante, Dan, or one of the other guys jump in here.

-
S