Seachem Equilibrium Or Tap Water With RO?

banderbe

Prolific Poster
Dec 5, 2005
Maple Grove, MN
I just picked up an RO unit. I'd like to shoot for water with a GH of 5 and a KH of 3.

My question is, what is better for adding minerals back to RO: Equilibrium from Seachem, or my tap water?

My tap water is 22 dGH, 18 dKH. Rougly 3:2 ratio Ca to Mg.

Any other info that would help in making this choice?

Also, if one uses Equilibrium is it still necessary to dose Plantex CSM+B?

Finally, and I suppose this isn't exactly the best place to ask this, but is Barr's Poor Man's GH booster comparable to Equilibrium, or if money is no object would one be better off with Equilibrium?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Seachem Equilibrium Or Tap Water With RO?

I'd just cut the tap with 5/6ths RO.

That would give you a nice KH, GH, and then you can add a little bit of GH from either GH product.

CaSO4 is CaSO4, the only different is in the ratios of the GH products of the various Ca, Mg, K salts etc

Regards,
Tom Barr

banderbe

Prolific Poster
Dec 5, 2005
Maple Grove, MN

Tom Barr said:
I'd just cut the tap with 5/6ths RO.

That would give you a nice KH, GH, and then you can add a little bit of GH from either GH product.

CaSO4 is CaSO4, the only different is in the ratios of the GH products of the various Ca, Mg, K salts etc

Regards,
Tom Barr

Thanks Tom. So the 5:1 ratio of RO to Tap would give me GH of 3.6 and KH of 3.

What GH am I aiming for then? Did you agree with the 5/3 GH/KH numbers then?

Also, will Plantex CSM+B and standard EI dosing be sufficient to make up the K and traces?

Thanks

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Yes, the only thing you might need to add is a little SeaChem Eq or the Barr GH booster. Maybe enough for 1 degree extra and that's about it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

banderbe

Prolific Poster
Dec 5, 2005
Maple Grove, MN

Tom Barr said:
Yes, the only thing you might need to add is a little SeaChem Eq or the Barr GH booster. Maybe enough for 1 degree extra and that's about it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

On a related topic, what is your opinion on dosing sodium bicarbonate directly to the tank after doing a water change with plain RO?

It seems to me like maybe it's just easier to keep my water reservoir full of plain RO and dose to the tank after water change, but I am worried that the KH dropping by half (or doubling if I dumped the necessary sodium bicarb into the tank before putting in the RO) and then returning to normal would stress the plants and/or fish.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

When I do water changes I mix a glass full of water with my bicarbonate of soda and the chloramine treatment, then as I add the replacement water I just dump the glass into the tank. I haven't seen any distress to my fish from doing that.

I'm not sure the question about trace elements was answered: you do still need to add the same fertilizers you would be adding if you hadn't used the GH booster. All that booster does is jack up the amount of calcium and magnesium in the water - it is not a fertilizer beyond that.

TommyBoy

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2006
San Francisco East Bay Area

Is there any difference between "Seachem Flourish Trace" and "Seachem Equilibrium"? Aren't both listed as "for RO water" and a "multi-vitamin"?

TIA,

Laith

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Geneva, Switzerland

Seachem's Equilibrium also adds K and Fe, not only Ca and Mg.

Seachem's Flourish Trace is only trace elements (as far as I know, no Ca or Mg, or very little anyway) in ridiculously low concentrations. I have not really understood the utility of the Flourish Trace product: I think I have more traces in my tapwater...

I do really like Seachem's Equilibrium and I use it regularly. I've never used the Barr GH booster so can't comment on that.