This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Seachem Acid buffer?

Discussion in 'Talk to Tom Barr' started by Brian20, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    12:11 AM
    With this product I can cut down kH to soft levels (4dkH)?

description:

Seachem Acid Buffer™ is a non-phosphate buffer to lower pH and buffer with Alkaline Buffer™. Both buffers are designed for the planted aquarium or for very hard water where phosphate buffers may pose an algae or cloudiness problem. Acid Buffer™ lowers pH and buffers between 5.0 and 8.0 when used with Alkaline Buffer™. As Acid Buffer™ lowers pH it converts carbonate alkalinity (KH) into available CO2. It may also be used to safely lower pH in marine water.

What it make to convert kH to CO2?

I use it like 1 year ago and works well for me or I think that, but now I'm looking for a better understanding of the products I'm using and its side effects I want to know more about this.

Brian

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    6:11 AM
    Do not use it in a planted tank.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    OK

how I can down pH without use RO water. I can afford RO filter but I cant afford the waste of water that it filter produce, in my home we alredy have a RO filter for drinking water so, it not make enough water for a tank but produce a lot of waste water.

what I can make to down kH without spend a lot of money?:confused:

Really I want eriocaulons and $$$ plants, I have expensive Echinodorus, soft water not do nothing to echinodorus, right?

4. ordloh

ordloh Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Seachem Acid buffer contains bisulfate salts, which are sulfate ions still holding on to one out of two acidic protons. busulfate has a pKa of 2, which is pretty acidic. basically you'll be adding sulfuric acid to your aquarium. you can lower your pH and carbonate levels using peat or other weak acids. Sorry but i can't answer the second part of your question, i'm not really a bio person XD

5. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Swords generally do fine in most water.

If you want to cut down on the water waste for your RO system, you can get a permeate pump. The turbo kind will work off the waste water pressure. Your TDS might go up a touch though but I've read that you can drop the waste water down to 2:1 vs 4:1 ( I may be mistaken on the actual #s though ).

What are you keeping that you need to drop your pH, or your KH? What are they at now? A lot of people will either use a water softener ( adds salt to the water which may not be what you want ), an RO filter, or just use peat moss or even oak leaves in a holding tank they run the water through to soften it up.

-
    S

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    The issue with keeping various species of plants has nothing to do with acid.

It has to do with the KH, the alkalinity.
    The issue is not due to the pH, it's the KH in other words for those plant species.

So lower KH is what you need, say 3-4 degrees ought to be okay with blending some RO water.

Lower light and reduced water changes ought to help also.

That's the trade off.
    You can improve the RO waste with a booster pump, but then you need to get that.
    Unless water is very costly, all these other things are not that bad trade offs for the waste water.

Electric cost more in general than water, water is still pretty cheap out of the tap.

Tom Barr

7. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    well here In Puerto Rico all things are very costly. We are a island so a lot of imported things are more costly than United States. The only source of energy is the imported Gas-petroleum. So electricity cost is high and all that uses electricity is high. Water not is high as electricity but is expensive for waste 4 gallons for every gallon of water in each w/c. I am thinking to buy a DI filter and a prefilter for the DI filter and done. It is only for a 29G tank.:)

8. ordloh

ordloh Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    you could use the waste water to water your house plants. mulch the soil with kitchen compost make up for the alkalinity of the water maybe. Not like you'll be changing water every day. or go for a system where you don't need to do so many water changes, you'll save money on electricity and co2 if you follow diana walstad's way of doing things.

9. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    I know but my system is high tech, anyway, I will make hard plumbing so I will put the filter cartridge to the line and use some DI cartridge. I make 50% w/c every week. So it nos is expensive 15 gallons in a week instead of 75G with RO.:D

10. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Just be careful spending 100$ to save 30$.
    Do the budget to make sure over a year, that it is not too much $ and you end up spending more and hassling with things more than you think.
    Everything cost more on a island.

I thought the water is all rain water there and volcanic rock? You should have very soft KH/GH's as it is, why RO/DI?

EPA > Local Drinking Water Information > Puerto Rico Drinking Water

Check the site and what is your starting KH?

I think reduction of water changes and good careful watching of the aquarium should suffice, say 25-30% weekly instead of 50%.

Still, even at the highest CA desert prices, on a 55 gallon aquarium, this will reduce the cost over an entire year from 11$ to 6$. 5$............

If you add RO or DI, this will cost no less than 60-$ or more.......so you'd have to wait 10+ years to make up that cost difference.

I have grave doubts that the tap water is more $$$ than it is in Marin county CA.
    Show me the water bill. I already did the more extreme water budget for Marin and the relative cost for the water change.

They spent far more, 10-100X more on electric using more light than they needed. They where concerned about wasting water and the cost there, but not concerned about limiting light and using "just enough"

"Do not cut your foot off to save your toe" the saying goes.

Focus on the cost issue at light, CO2 and water, filtration etc.
    this will reduce cost down much more and make management easier if you look at it holistically.

This way you can afford to do higher tech tanks without the cost being a significant burden.

I focus on this more out of principle and curiosity.
    But water is still very cheap relatively speaking,

Regards,
    Tom Barr

11. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    Well the biggest problem is that I dont pay the electricity or water because my parents pay that. They dont want more water wasted in a RO filter so if I buy the RO I will end paying a part of the water bill.

Instead of logic (that the water is soft/acidic) here is instead of that. The river near my home have a high pH water. Here we have a lot of parts with calcium and nutrients that make the water hard and basic.

I make a test today and this is the results:

1. Tap water pH 7.6-8.0
    2. Water from drinking filter (I use that for water changes) is mainly carbon. pH 6.8
    3.water in my aquarium is pH 6.0, I think that is that because my substrate.

kH still unknown, last time was 7.

Brian