This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Sea Grasses?

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by rusticitas, May 6, 2006.

1. rusticitas

rusticitas Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I was reading about your marine tank experiments. I'm not completely familiar with marine or reef tanks, but a friend of mine is VERY much into them. It looked like you were using macroalgae. I recently came across a site about doing a "planted" marine tank using sea grasses. I was wondering if you were experimenting with anything like that. I could imagine such a tank looking quite beautiful!

http://home.comcast.net/~slardizabal/

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Sea Grasses?

There are many species and forms of seagrasses, they are variable in culture, some are very difficult to grow, while others are relatively easy.

They are very suitable for tanks, Samantha wrote a good overview article on Reefcentral about them recently and she took a number of things I've learned and applied them.

Give it a read, I'll hunt for the link etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Bill

Bill Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

4. rusticitas

rusticitas Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Re: Sea Grasses?

That's a fantastic article. I think I would like to try this kind of tank as my first marine tank. Time to start reading up on marine! :)

5. cabin

cabin Junior Poster

I want to set up a 180 gallon tank that is part seagrass, part reef. I've been reading all I can on the topic, and it appears I should mix mud into the bottom 2" of substrate in the seagrass portion. However, I want to keep a small colony of jawfish after the seagrass is established. Won't they dig down to the mud level and cause it to be distributed all over the place?