Scott's Ground Peat

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Tom, I have a problem finding Scott's ground peat at any local nurseries or HD. Scott claims they don't make the Scott brand anymore, but one under the Miracle Gro name, which is enhanced. Could you be a little more specific in the product, or suggest an alternative to the Scott brand. And if it is enhanced, what is the best way to get rid of the nutrients, such as boiling, etc.?
Bill suggested using Jiffy 7 pellets in one of his posts, which I have ordered, but that's got to do with killies as well.
An acknowledgement and reply would be appreciated. :gw :D

angel

Junior Poster
Mar 10, 2005
Re: Scott's Ground Peat

Bill's answer to your question seems to be a sensible one.Since you've already ordered the pellets,and you are familiar with the leaching process,it might be the best way to go.Which tank are you planning to change? Good luck.

R

Russ

I think you should buy the cheapest ground peat w/o amendments you can find and soak it for a week.

-Russ

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

Russ, Angel, thx for the reply. I'm trying to get a brand name for ground peat. I can get all the fibrous, stringy stuff I want (by the bale), but not the ground stuff. I would like to use the correct stuff- it would be rather aggravating to find out it was causing me problems later on down the road when everything is planted :gw :D

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Walter,
I would go to the nearest garden center and buy whatever Canadian peat
moss they have. I've bought the kind that comes in a foot-square bale
and boiled it for 8-10 minutes, rinsed in a sieve(when the wife's not around
since she gets upset when I use any of her kitchen stuff), then repeat,
with no problems. Just pick the bigger twigs, etc out of it before using in your tank.
The finer milled stuff is just easier to work with, but you will get the same results
as described, just more work. Keep in mind the peat is
going on the very bottom of the tank. :)

Regards,

Bill

brad

Prolific Poster
Aug 2, 2005

Wasn`t it Scott`s that merged with Miracle-gro? Either way, all the peat I checked had a list of ingredients. Some contained ferts and others said 100% Canadian sphagnum peat. I boiled it for a while anyway for 2 reasons. To help it sink, and make sure to get rid of any urea that may have been added in such small quantities that it didn`t warrant being put on the bag. :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Any plain, 100% sphag ground peat will do.
Soil also will work but needs soaked a little, peat can be done without soaking but it's good to water log it a bit.

I typically do not. Just add my dusting and perhaps Leonardite instead.

Regards,
Tom Barr

matpat

Prolific Poster
Mar 29, 2005
Dayton, Ohio

Shultz has smaller bags of Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss available at WalMart stores in my area. While it is not super finely ground it is powdery and pretty fine.

It is smaller than the bags carried at Lowes/Home Depot which is convenient. The small bag I purchased has been enough to put a dusting on my 75g, both 55g tanks and my 30g tank. It has also contributed a 1" thick, pre-moistened layer to my 10g low tech tank. I think I still have about half of the bag left...should be enough for another 10g low tech tank :)

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

Purchased Shultz Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss today, $2.95, at Wal-Mart. Seems to be the right stuff. I passed/ground it further by passing it through a strainer to break it up even more- still a little more to do, and this may be overkill, but I've been this way all my life, so why change now! Also heard Shultz's peat is not enhanced, so this should help. Thx Matpat, Bill for the info, and others. :gw :D :D