Saltwater Barr Report

Bill

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Houston, Tx.
Not that there is such a thing but a while back I think someone mentioned one of the best saltwater sites on the web here but I can't seem to find it. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Also I remember that Tom said that some of the salt water tanks were kept to clean. If possible could Tom or anyone expound on this?

Thanks,
Bill

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Saltwater Barr Report

Reefcentral.com

and folks maintain the water column too lean to grow plants well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Bill

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Houston, Tx.

I am helping a friend with a 500g saltwater tank. It's been 15 years since I ran a saltwater tank and a lot has changed since then.

You say they run there tanks to lean, would you suggest adding additives or can the water changes be done with tap water? I thought the general idea was not to do big water changes on saltwater tanks but on the different web sights they say to change anywhere from 50% or 10% every two weeks. 50% of a 500g tank every two weeks is a lot of water and to me it sounds excessive, do you any thoughts on this?

His tank is mainly a fish only tank but if they will go together he would like add some turtle grass and macros.

One more thing I would like to ask, from what I understand the reason for using r/o water is because nitrates and phosphates in tap water will cause algae. It seems I have heard that before, do you know if that's true or just another myth? Your site and information are great and the reason I have stayed in the hobby because I am having good success using your methods. That why I asked you these saltwater questions because you think about happening and don't just go by what others say, your like the Aquatic Myth Buster.

Thanks for the information Tom,

Bill

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Well, the higher PO4/NO3 are fine if.............
He decides to use the plants............
Something will grow in there and he needs to decide on what that will be.

I do not suggest large water changes on a 500 gal marine tank, let the refuge do the work or have the weeds in the tank.

He'll need a 4-8" DBS with some organic material(Mud, soil etc), sugar sized aragonite or onyx/grey coast calcite if he wants.

Reef folks limit their tanks trying to replicate the conditions found in nature, but there is a constant low level supply making this impossible and still grow the plants(corals are fine though since they grow much slower than the macros).

It's not as simple as the FW plant issue but you can add KNO3 to reduce the PO4's(which is a trigger for diatom blooms in marine tanks if too high).

Basically you have less wiggle room with PO4 before things get squirrlely, unlike FW where we have a huge effective range.

You can go weeks, months etc without water changes if done right.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Bill

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Houston, Tx.

>>>Well, the higher PO4/NO3 are fine if.............
He decides to use the plants............
Something will grow in there and he needs to decide on what that will be.

Craig Tarvin

Junior Poster
Jun 23, 2005
California

DSB = Deep Sand Bed, you can search on reefcentral for info.

I can't speak for Tom as to the ratio of the substrates.