This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Salt Water To Fresh Water Plant Tank

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by jonathan11, Feb 23, 2005.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I've got a 15 gallon salt water tank that I want to convert to a fresh water plant/fish tank. I will thoroughly clean and use a high bleach concentrate to kill algae, etc., then run a heavy bleach solution through the filter and tank. I've got a 15watt F15....20" for light, filter with bio wheel (both will be replaced with new wheel and filter), pretty standard starter type tank. My own substrate (1-2") of sandy topsoil, powdered Georgia clay, and vermiculite, covered with 3/4 to 1" of medium fine sandblasting grit. Greg's root tabs added. Thinking of slow growers, Annubia, moss, fern, etc. Small # of fish (ottos, cardinals, cory).
    Anyone have any experience with doing this, and what things I might avoid to benefit from your previous experiences?
    Thx in advance.

Walter

2. Laith

Laith Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Re: Salt Water To Fresh Water Plant Tank

Just a comment: after heavy bleach treatment and rinsing, rinsing and rinsing, it would be a good idea to rinse some more using a water/de-chlorinator mixture to ensure removal of all the bleach...

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Salt Water To Fresh Water Plant Tank

W,

I think your substrate will end in a distaster.
    For SW conversion, simply rinse the tank well with hot water, no need to bleach.

If you want to use the soil stuff, try 1/2-1" max, then 2-3" of sand on topp of that. Never use vermiculite, no root tabs needed.

You will want fast growers. Lots of them from the start.
    Later you can phase in the slow growers.

You can also use Excel in the start as well.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

I've got a 15watt F15....20" for light, filter with bio wheel (both will be replaced with new wheel and filter), pretty standard starter type tank. My own substrate (1-2") of sandy topsoil, powdered Georgia clay, and vermiculite, covered with 3/4 to 1" of medium fine sandblasting grit. Greg's root tabs added. Thinking of slow growers, Annubia, moss, fern, etc. Small # of fish (ottos, cardinals, cory).