Sacramento Local Fish Stores

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
I have been trying to locate all of the aquatic plant friendly local fish stores now in business. So far I have 5 on the list:
Capitol Aquarium - 1920 29th Street - features huge selection of fresh water fish.
Exotic Aquarium - 6643 Franklin Blvd - large store, friendly staff, good plant selection
Jo Jo Aquarium - 6171 Stockton Blvd. - Not a large store, but enthusiastic planted tank people, with very nice looking plants for sale, stocks Excel in small size, has Flourite black, will stock Christmas moss and other mosses.
Fish Planet - 2100 Arden Way - Big, interesting store, but little interest in planted tanks, no Seachem flourish products
Aqua Workz - 8125 Belvedere Ave - potentiallly great store, has huge selection of tanks of all sizes

Because finding these stores is always a drag for me I made a map showing their locations, all on one sheet. I have it in PDF form if anyone wants it.

Also, if there are other plant friendly stores please let me know.

jfthomas

Junior Poster
Oct 22, 2007
Sacramento
Yaughn,

Can you send me that pdf. I haven't been to two of those stores (Jojo, and AquaWorz). I don't know how they slipped past me because when I moved here a year ago I combed the area thoroughly.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
jfthomas;20945 said:
Yaughn,

Can you send me that pdf. I haven't been to two of those stores (Jojo, and AquaWorz). I don't know how they slipped past me because when I moved here a year ago I combed the area thoroughly.
I emailed the PDF to you, since I can't find a way to post it here or attach it to a PM from here.

DisgruntledUser

Junior Poster
Nov 11, 2007
maybe add o street to the list?

Up the hill near me is Lees Feed in Shingle Springs, pretty cool fish and plant selection. So far I prefer lees over any store in Sacramento. I havent yet been to exotic, jojo or aqua workz though. But have been to capitol, o st. and fish planet.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
I haven't visited O street aquarium for several months, and it appears that Aqua Workz is a replacement store for it. I will plant to go to O street, possibly today, to see if that is the case. Shingle Springs is a bit far for me, but if I decide to expand the area covered by my map of stores I will add it.

raun

Junior Poster
Nov 7, 2007
Do you know of any in the Folsom/Roseville/El dorado area? I'd be fine maintaining a list and checking the stores occasionally for this area since its near me. I almost always end up going downtown when I need anything just because I know what I'm going to get.

I've never been to these places, but know they exist (or used to when I last looked them all up)

Aqua Zoo - 1551 Vineyard Rd # A54, Roseville, CA
Aqua Life Aquarium Services - 4300 Anthony Ct, Rocklin, CA

I have been here tho:

Sunrise Pet Center - 8141 Greenback Ln, Fair Oaks, CA
- Very small store. No Excel or seachem products. Plant selection very small Equiptment prices were reasonable though.

DisgruntledUser

Junior Poster
Nov 11, 2007
raun, currently lees feed is the only fish/aquatic plant store I know of in el dorado county, folsom of course has petco and petsmart. petsmart is putting in another new petsmart on iron point rd. about 1 mile down the road from the other petsmart that is a few years old on east bidwell. maybe they will close the older one since the newer one is visible from the freeway. but dont get your plants from petsmart hehe...

DisgruntledUser

Junior Poster
Nov 11, 2007
VaughnH;20968 said:
I haven't visited O street aquarium for several months, and it appears that Aqua Workz is a replacement store for it. I will plant to go to O street, possibly today, to see if that is the case. Shingle Springs is a bit far for me, but if I decide to expand the area covered by my map of stores I will add it.

i went to o st, capitol and fish planet a couple weeks ago. o st. seemed well stocked and cleaned, they were maintaining the wide plant tanks at the time I visited so didn't really get a chance to check that out. maybe they were taking them down to be moved but It didn't look like it.

tycobb

Junior Poster
Feb 26, 2008
orangevale, ca
new to this whole thing including this site, does anyone know where i can find either riccia or pellia locally in sacramento, wanting to start a new tank with either. thanks

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
tycobb;23337 said:
new to this whole thing including this site, does anyone know where i can find either riccia or pellia locally in sacramento, wanting to start a new tank with either. thanks

I don't know where you will find those in a store, but if you come to the S.A.P.S. meeting next Tuesday night, March 4th at Fish Planet in the Howe about Arden shopping center, one of our members will probably be able to tell you where to find some. One of our members sells a lot of various plants, so may have some to sell.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I have some if you want the weed.

Regards,
Tom Barr

swylie

Prolific Poster
May 23, 2007
Tom, are you pushing weed these days too? ;)

Don't even dignify that with a response.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
tycobb;23353 said:
thanks, i m will try to make it out and say hi, do you guys meet regularly if i can't make it next week, thanks in advance

We meet the first tuesday of every months, usually at Fish Planet, but as the weather warms up we may do more "field trips". See: sacaquaticplant : Sacramento Aquatic Plant Society for the most up to date information, and join to get on our email list.

tycobb

Junior Poster
Feb 26, 2008
orangevale, ca
another question for you guys from the newbie. is there anywhere locally to get SAE's I've been reading about how it's hard to find the real one's and be able to tell them apart from flying foxes. I would like to have at least one in case a breakout occurs in the tank. Or what do you guys recommend for algae eating fish or shrimp?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Otocinclus are a better choice than SAE's, and Amano Shrimp are also a better choice than SAE's. My experience with SAE's wasn't very positivee, unless you rate fish by how big they will grow and how fast they can swim from one end of the tank to the other end. SAE's excell on both of those criteria.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
May is an excellent field month. Also, perhaps this month of April as well if we get a nice rain sometime, the lakes will be perfect, also, Mather field vernal pools will be looking good as well as Jepson.

Regards,
tom Barr

LiquidEric

Junior Poster
Oct 8, 2008
Sacramento CA
Lee's Feed

I agree with DisgruntledUser Lee's feed is a great store.

I worked there for 5 years up until 2001 and worked with a couple of people still in the fish department. They have a good selection of rare fish and a nice plant selection. Ryan is a good guy to talk to there. Its worth the drive to check it out. Prices are good.