This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Rotala tips stunting?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by BriDroid, Mar 29, 2013.

1. BriDroid

BriDroid Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    12:30 AM
    My various Rotala will be growing great and all of the sudden, the new growth will stunt. I've searched the web and some seem to think it's a micro nutrient deficiency. I'm doing EI, and putting CSB-B 3X a week enough for a 0.5ppm iron dose. I'm also adding iron at the same time at a 0.5ppm dose.

Do I need more CSM-B? Or maybe try Miller's Microplex?

It's just strange to have beautiful Rotala and then the new growth on some stunt

The kids happening on my macaranda, rotundifolia and Yao Yai. For some reason, it doesn't seem to happen to the sp. Bangladesh?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Sounds more like a CO2 or maybe the KH of the tap changed.

3. herns

herns Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have the same issue. But some would grow without stunted tops while others have. I have r Bangladesh that grow very healthy while some are stunted.

Sent from HTC One device using Tapatalk2

4. yme

yme Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    0.5 ppm per dose? if you add 0.5 ppm iron per week, I would tripple the CSM+B.
    0.5 ppm iron from CSM+B per week is 1/3 EI.

how long were the rotala growing well? did you buy them a couple of weeks ago, or did they grow fine for months?
    If the latter is the case, check carefully what changed. e.g. biomass, water flow, tap water, KH, CO2, check your NO3/PO4 levels, recalibrate your pH probe etc etc

greets,

yme

5. BriDroid

BriDroid Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Total I'm adding 1ppm of iron on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. .5 off that each of those days is coming from CSM+B and the rest from 13% cheleated iron.

It doesn't happen to every stem. I'll have gorgeous stems growing and then one will almost look like I topped it (i didn't touch it) and the new growth is tiny.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check and see what I can find.

I've had all the Rotala for at least 2 months and I've had this issue from the start.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    If it's a stem here or there, trim them off.

7. BriDroid

BriDroid Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    That's what I've been doing.

I bumped up my CO2 this morning. My drop checker is green, but the fish aren't laboring at the surface, so you can always add more lol.

I'll report back in a couple weeks and let everyone know if that helps.

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Ah crap, do not ever based a CO2 decision on a drop checker.
    Ever.........

Use the plants or use the pH/KH chart and keep in mind the ppm's will be relative.

The fish are the upper bounds, but most add WAY too much all at once, rather than a little bit, then wait and watch.
    Something called impatience.

The closer/higher ppm you get, the more careful you need to be with adjustments.

9. fleuramore

fleuramore Member

Local Time:
    My Rotala sp. do the same thing... Did you ever get this figured out? I have Ammannia, UG, S. repens, Blyxa - all doing well... The Rotala will grow great then start sending out these tiny shriveled looking leaves. I trim them... side shoots grow and some look good - others don't.

10. aamir9110

aamir9110 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    rotala stunting

Do you have adequate flow in the region of the Rotalas? Since most grow dense It may be relative CO2 deficiency causing some of the tips to be stunted.

Regards,
    AR

11. herns

herns Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have about 8 or 9 rotala species and its kind of strange that some would grow stunted in a certain time when they have grown mature and sometimes they dont. Najeshan seems finding hard to grow very well in my larger tank but in my nano they grow very well.

12. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    interesting...I have the same experiences with my rotalas. The Singapore will sometimes stunt, but only a few stems while others grow fine. The R. indica can be right next to it and grow great, in fact Indica doesn't have this issue in my tank. My nano which gets more light does great. I've always assumed its CO2.

13. mythin

mythin Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Just anecdotal, but I had r. butterfly in a highlight high co2 tank before, and it also stunted, I tried throwing as much ferts as it as I could, and it stayed stunted. I am now convinced it was stunting due to my KH/GH. My KH was 8, GH 8. I threw the same plant in my CRS tank with no ferts or co2, and the stunting went away, and the leaves grew larger again.

14. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    This suggest that growth is going along fine.....then stunts, suddenly.............sounds like more plant biomass, closer to the light(so much more light PAR)= a lot more demand for CO2.
    Ferts also, but even at very high levels, you are not going to exceed 30 ppm of NO3 a week.