This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Rotala sunset comments on trimming etc.

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by Tom Barr, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    9:56 AM
    I recently have been focusing on allowing the Rotala "sunset" to grow and not try to aggressively prune it.

I recently did a large water change which afterwards the main stem with all the side shoots, pulled out of the soil even after being there and well rooted.
    This ruined the one test I had, (there's another stem that has not just yet pulled out).

But I very carefully trimmed this and trimmed longer stems this time with lots of roots. This resulted in no necrotic leaf wilt or stem die back.
    Growth is rapid and good in the 180 Gallon tank.

This is good news as the plant is a PITA if you have to trim it and then what you sell will likely do the same thing to anyone that buys a few stems from you also.
    Shoots were about 8-10" long and loaded with roots already.
    Moving them from one spot to the other did not have any effect this time either.

So I think I can rule that out and go mostly with how and where, what stage the stem is trimmed at, with older, more mature plant cutting being well worth it vs the smaller cuttings.

2. yme

yme Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    In addition... now that I add more PO4 (7 ppm/week instead of 3 ppm/week, resulting in a PO4 level around 3-4 ppm throughout the week) I see more (air/water) root formation. This is a well known phenomenon in general, but clearly the rotala sunset also responds this way to higher PO4 levels.

So, if roots are (part of) the solution, high PO4 levels might help prevent this melting.

I haven't trimmed my stems yet after the PO4 increase, I so cannot say whether this is true.

greets,

yme

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    The proof is in the pudding. So to speak.

Since we grow herbaceous fast rapid growing aquatic weeds, we can see responses pretty fast.
    This is among the 1st time I have moved and trimmed this plant without any dying back or like a partial auto fragmentation.

You can see the die back and post spouting on each node if you take an emergent grown plant and place it into the aquarium.
    The submersed plants do this also, but not nearly as well.

I add 5 ppm 2x a week or so, not much issues with roots.
    Just allow the plants to get larger and larger, then when they are really doing well, only then, trim.
    Few other plants are like this.