This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Rotala Sunset And Florida Leaves Drooping

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Lazy999, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Lazy999

Lazy999 New Member

Local Time:
    1:23 PM
    Hiii everyone,

Any chance to save the plants? My sunset and florida leaves start drooping

20180921_183645.jpg

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    12:23 AM
    aka The Dreaded Droop and Die

It's a thing and those stems are toast. There's no coming back if one ever starts doing that. Doesnt matter what you do.

Ive never seen anyone explain the direct cause. There may not be only one cause, it might be just what happens when this species (or genus?) becomes unhappy.

Ive seen it happen with high nutrients and low nutrients, inert sub and rich. Ive also grown them fantastically under all these conditions.

Personally Ive wondered if temperature plays a role. Once when it happened to me with Sunsets they'd been growing ganbusters for several months, then around July they slowly started dropping. The only thing that changed is summertime hit and tank temps went up a 2-3 degrees. No idea if that's what caused it or not.

Maybe @Pikez or @rajkm can shed some light. I'd be interested in anyone else's experiences or thoughts

Greggz likes this.
  3. Lazy999

Lazy999 New Member

Local Time:
    Gosh... there goes my one and only sunset stem... =(

4. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:23 AM
    Yeah as Burr said, droop and die syndrome.

I had some going really well for quite a while. Propagating and had a nice big batch.

Then it seemed like about two or three at a time would droop and die, and a couple months later they were all gone.

Sure was a beautiful bunch at it's a peak. But when it doesn't like something (who knows what??????????????) there is no saving it.

5. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Oh yea, those stems are toast.

I'm the court-appointed Poindexter on these plants and even I don't have a clue on what causes this.

We have a rough idea on other Rotalas but not these two. Them're odd ducks.

Greggz likes this.
  6. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Generally, these plants seem to do better in harder water with elevated GH. For me, they go either way, but they hang on a LOT longer in hard water and inert substrate. Nutrient level does not seem to matter as Burr indicated.

7. Lazy999

Lazy999 New Member

Local Time:
    Ahhh i see. Tx for the advise both of you.

Guess either they like your tank or dislike it.

8. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    I will add on to burr and pikez that yes, the droop is usually unhappy plant and most likely recovery chance is quite less.

I have had some stems droop while a good amount is doing well, the stem will darken and will rot away from bottom.

You have some flat leaf coming up but the stem suffocates itself from the bottom and then it’s lost cause.

Also many have come to a conclusion that sunsets don’t do well in soil. I wish to prove them wrong but haven’t succeeded yet.

Tags: