Rotala macrandra

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I recently started keeping this weed again after perhaps 10 years, we grew it nicely for a long time in the 1990's in the SFBAAPS club among several of us.
Some myths seem to have been promoted since AFTER this time and have become an issue as I have been getting PM's about the so called "requirements" for nice healthy growth.

High PO4 is one, this is not true.
Most plants do well, but it's hardly a requirement for nice health and color. Several SFBAAPS members grew this plant very nicely at PMDD target ranges, 0.2ppm of PO4.
And..it looked as good as ANY I've seen.

Likewise, fast forward to today, the same nice mauve color and cherry like red is apparent in my plants and also in the same plant I bought at AFA which does not add much ferts or PO4, and yet the color and match was the same.
My tank might grow faster, but the coloration was the SAME. ADA AS is one thing that was common between both habitats, Neil Frank also used/s potting soil with good results on this plant.
The water column ppm's have been ALL OVER the place, and I really have been unable to verify any such claims and correlation that others have reported or advice they get from other folks.
This same type of pattern about plants needing some special pampering has never set well with me and I've rarely found any support when I attempt to grow these so called tough plants.
A few emergent species seem to be poor plants to grow submersed, but true aquatic species? Nope.

Some might need more CO2, more traces or some other thing, but the higher ppm's have never once harmed growth in plants I've tested(and I have a list of 35 plant species where folks have made such claims and every single one was falsified curiously.....not making friends.... I know.....but that's not the point, horticulture is), however, limiting a nutrient/fert will have a beneficial effect if you have poor CO2/light conditions also:) Put another way, folks that believe this to be true where limiting or low N or P etc....aids........tend not to have independence in their test.
Poo pooing me personally, calling me rude, disrespectful whatever......... does not cut it or make the myth go away. It has been falsified.
All you need is a few cases/examples and it's toast.

C

csmith

If there are no specific steps needed to keep colorful plants, well, colorful, then is there an answer for why they revert to green? I've had maybe 4-5 species that when purchased were red, but in no time were green. Seemed to grow just fine, just without the color. I've never attempted any of the nutrient limiting approaches, nor utilization of excessive amounts of light and all of those other things you can read about elsewhere that people swear by, but I always wondered why exactly the plants lost their color.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
csmith;75867 said:
If there are no specific steps needed to keep colorful plants, well, colorful, then is there an answer for why they revert to green? I've had maybe 4-5 species that when purchased were red, but in no time were green. Seemed to grow just fine, just without the color. I've never attempted any of the nutrient limiting approaches, nor utilization of excessive amounts of light and all of those other things you can read about elsewhere that people swear by, but I always wondered why exactly the plants lost their color.

Well,I think it's safer to say we know little long term evidence of horticulture that implies redder coloration from what I've seen.
Some suggest lean water column, but then rich sediment, this is still rich fertilization however, plants can and do translocate nutrients after all.
Some have suggest rich fert, this too has a counter and I've seen cases for both.

All it takes is for a few people to have rich or lean to disprove a hypothesis claiming you need to have X ppm's or X lighting.....

My 120 Gal tank disproves the lean requirement claims definitely.
It DOES NOT DISPROVE that lean methods do not work either however. Many of the lean crowd claim that high ferts do not produce nice colors, but having not tried it themselves, seems rather disingenious.
I do not say leaner ferts do/can not produce reds. I've done it and know others that have also:)

That's where many of us started.

My curiosity is to see if rich ferts are really the issue in the water column, I've not found any good long term evidence they are bad or pose a risk.
To fish, algae or coloration and gardening, aquascaping.

Jonathan

Junior Poster
Dec 19, 2012
Tom, forgive me for bringing this topic back up.

2005 - now.

Anymore thoughts on this ? ~~ or suspicions as to how to induce color in stem plants ? I read so many things, and I cant tell what is myth.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Focus on growing plants well, not on red plants specifically.

Rotala

Jan 5, 2022
Việt Nam
Hello
-What should I do if the rotala tree I planted is damaged?
-what should i do?please help
IMG_20220110_060530.jpg
IMG_20220110_060616.jpg

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
seems to start growing new branches. It's a variety of Rotala rotundifolia by the looks of it so relatively robutst plant. Make sure it gets good CO2 and flow and it grows.