This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Rootless Blyxa Japonica

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by Christophe, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:08 PM
    Hi all,

An odd and inconvenient situation has shown up in my system -- I've got a bunch of blyxa japonica that seems to grow quite well, but forms few if any roots. It grows fairly quickly, single plants become splittable in 3-4 weeks, looks good & healthy, etc... But every couple of months when I pull it all to thin it out & replant, there are almost no roots on ANY of the plants. As a result, they're kinda hard to replant and keep planted.

As a rosette plant, burying it too deeply is bad for it, but trying to keep it anchored is a continual problem.

Substrate: inert blasting sand
    Ferts: all in the water column, about 2/3 base EI levels maintain NO3 and PO4 at reasonable values

No burrowing pests, Malaysian trumpet snails, or anything I think would be eating them.

In my prior setup, I had an Aquasoil substrate, and it seemed very well rooted. Not so in the inert sand. Is this something anyone else is seeing? Or am I just SPECIAL?

2. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    10:08 AM
    Mine develop lots of roots in sand w/only water column ferts. Sometimes when splitting one will pull of with hardly any roots, doesnt seem to matter really. The plant still takes off and does fine

Its technically a stem plant fwiw :) So you can plant it as deep as you want.

What I do sometimes is strip the lowest leaves off to give a little more stem to bury. What helps even more is to leave an eighth inch or so of leaf attached to the stem, sorta grabs the substrate when you bury it and helps hold it down.

Christophe likes this.
  3. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:08 PM
    Thanks Joe! Forgot that it's actually a stem -- I'll try trimming the loose ones up as you suggest, see if I can get them to stick a bit better. They grow just fine, just no roots. Never seen it like that before!

burr740 likes this.