This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

RO Waste Water

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by reiverix, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. reiverix

    reiverix Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Messages:
    270
    Likes Received:
    0
    I recently set up an RO unit for my reef tank but I dislike the fact that about three quarters of the water comes out as waste. I was thinking about using this waste water for my water changes on my planted tanks. In Columbus the tapwater is devoid of most things except phosphate. I tested the waste water for a few things and here's the result.

    PO4 2.5 - 3ppm
    KH 2.5
    GH 8
    NO3 20 - 30ppm

    There's usually no nitrates in our tapwater but recently there was a large spike which seems to be going down slowly. Our water supplier strips out a lot of elements such as iron, copper, calcium, magnesium, etc.

    Should I chance it?
     
  2. Vladimir Zhurov

    Vladimir Zhurov Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    0
    Re: RO Waste Water

    Looks like a pretty fine water after everything was dosed in "EI for high-light tank" ammounts.

    My personal concern would not be nutrients but that something potentially toxic has increased its concentration. But if you say that volume decrease is only 25% (25% goes to pure H2O and the rest is accumulated in remaining 75% of mineralized water) than concentration will grow only by 1/3.

    I would give it a try on some test tank.

    Regards.

    Vladimir.
     
Loading...

Share This Page