This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

River Loam

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by bpimm, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bpimm

bpimm Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:29 PM
    Tom, in a thread on TPT you wrote:

I have a stream running across my land, I have probably 600' of stream on my place and the spring is about 100' off of my property. the land has a heavy cover of trees and loamy soil, there are areas that are flat and the sediments grow great Skunk cabbage. Would you put this sediment in the same class as river loam? Do you think it would work in a tank?

Most of my tanks have my native topsoil for the substrate. how would the stream silt differ from the topsoil?

I have been thinking of trying it in a tank for quite a while, just haven't done it yet.

Thanks
    Brian

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Sounds like a decent source to me given the skunk Cabbage.
    You ideally want about 10% organic matter.
    Top soil is fine but less organic material is better, but you have to resupply it over time.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. bpimm

bpimm Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom,

I have been going to try it for years just never got to it. My thoughts are it should be pretty much a well rinsed version of the topsoil as the spring is so close, it's not like it's been in a river for miles.

I have a tank I'm going to redo pretty soon, I think I'll try it.

Brian