This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Riser for finnex planted plus build

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bendingsea, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Bendingsea

Bendingsea Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:18 AM
    Hello, Sort of new around here so bear with me. ;)

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on how high I should lift my finnex planted plus above my tank. I have a 29gallon with a 30" planted plus. The reason I want to lift it is because I suspect that my lights are causing some algae issues. I have a bunch of floating plants and in the surface area where there are no plants I get a decent amount of algae.

I built a mock riser out of some pvc and I plan on using some clear acrylic for the final version. I'm just unsure if I should lift the fixture 2" or 3 " above the surface, perhaps more?

Any input would be great!

2. 1077

1077 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Might first wonder how long the light is on?,how long the tank has been running with plant's? What plant's are suffering from algae?

CO2 enhancement ?

3. Bendingsea

Bendingsea Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Lights are on for 6 hours

Tank has been running since February 2016

The majority of the algae grows on various plants in the area where there are no floating plants filtering the light. Mostly the higher portions of hygrophila difformis are affected.

As far as co2..... I'm still trying to dial it in. I started with dosing with Excel, than I went the diy route with inconsistent results. Back to excel and finally a couple of day ago I started with a pressurized system.

4. 1077

1077 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I see,I thought maybe lighting period was perhaps too long,but this does not seem to be the case.

Raising the light a couple inches certainly would not hurt while you get CO2 dialed in, and provide consistent nutrient availability IMHO.

Rather than attempting to discern precisely how much macro/micro nutrient's might be required,I might consider Estimative index for your size tank or close to it , so that nutrient deficiency can be minimized along with too much light for Too long, and that leaves only CO2 and distribution to focus on or dial in as you are doing.

Is my understanding that algae is much quicker to react to changes in stability such as CO2 (ie)EXCEL to DIY,to Injection Method) and the method by which you are delivering it..

Tuning down the lighting a bit is good idea while tinkering with the gas.(less demand from plant 's)

I use the finnex planted + over 55 gal and the support's at each end would present a challenge for me(not very diy inclined).

#4 1077, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2016
  5. Bendingsea

Bendingsea Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I would love to run my lights a bit longer, so I can enjoy the tank longer but unfortunately I feel like I'm at the max for light.

As far as macro/micro nutrients, I'm kind of at a loss. When I set the tank up i sprinkled a little of osmocote plus under the substrate. I had a huge growth with the plants. I'm not sure if it's all used up. I'm worried about starting the EI dosing and potentially over dosing because of any lingering osmocote. I have noticed some plants that were doing great are now melting away.

For now I think I'm going to start @ 3 in rise and see if it improves and potentially look into a dosing schedule.

My apologies for my lack of knowledge. I started with the hobby this past febuary i feel like I'm learning something new every day. ;)

#5 Bendingsea, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2016