Rio 600 RVT in a 20 gal?

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005
I just picked up a CO2 set up with 10# tank for about $200, but I did not have a reactor. So I'm using an Rio 600 RVT that I never used in the big tank. The flow seems a bit much for the 20, any ideas for toning it down a bit.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Too Much?

Hi,

Honestly, the rated 120 gph on the Rio 600 RVT doesn’t seem bad to me, a rock or some other object to break up flow perhaps.

Are you going to modify powerhead for a needle-wheel or something?

I use sponge filters on the intakes of powerhead, with or without CO2 injectors, that reduces flow somewhat.

Biollante

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005
Biollante;41573 said:
Hi,

Honestly, the rated 120 gph on the Rio 600 RVT doesn’t seem bad to me, a rock or some other object to break up flow perhaps.

Are you going to modify powerhead for a needle-wheel or something?

I use sponge filters on the intakes of powerhead, with or without CO2 injectors, that reduces flow somewhat.

Biollante

ATM I'm going to leave it the way it is, until I see how it works out. Tom recommended these pumps on another board, that's where I originally got the idea.

Not sure what to use for a muffler; I'd like something that difuses the flow without reducing the output too much. I could make something on the drill press, but I was hoping to be lazy.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
How about an eductor? If you place a larger pipe around the existing output it will draw in water from the back of the pipe and create a larger flow with somewhat less velocity. The downside is you may end up with a lot more flow than you initially had. It will be a larger "jet" of water though so it may not be as bad. It may be completely the wrong thing for you though. FWIW, I was planning on snagging one of these for my Biocube 29 so the sizing seems fine.

-
S

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005
shoggoth43;41674 said:
How about an eductor? If you place a larger pipe around the existing output it will draw in water from the back of the pipe and create a larger flow with somewhat less velocity. The downside is you may end up with a lot more flow than you initially had. It will be a larger "jet" of water though so it may not be as bad. It may be completely the wrong thing for you though. FWIW, I was planning on snagging one of these for my Biocube 29 so the sizing seems fine.

-
S

Thanks, Fluid Dynamics for Dummies. :)

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Fluid Dynamics for Dummies

Hi,

The RVT’s seem to be a favorite for needle-wheel modifications, I do not know if they are that much better suited or just someone started with it and the rest of us followed like sheep (or Lemmings?).:eek:

http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquat...diy-modifications.html?highlight=needle+wheel

I use this technique with whatever powerhead I happen to have. I think the impeller on the RVT may be superior (or I may just be a Lemming). Strictly speaking, you do not need modify anything. I sometimes just run a tube or glass air stone (diffuser) straight into the intake. The problem with this is sometimes the impeller air (well CO2) locks and/or can be noisy.

I also use filter pad to ‘fuzz-up’ the CO2. I think Tom Barr has something in the link above.

I like the eductors; it really is a great method of maximizing flow without addition of pumps or increased power requirements. In a sense it is how those cool Hydor Koralia Magnum Circulation Pumps/Powerheads work.:)

A little Fluid Dynamics for Dummies, and a great source of (for?) educators http://www.kthsales.com/Default.HTM. Another I have not dealt with but seems like good information http://www.nciweb.net/eductors.htm.

Biollante

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
A rio 600 shouldn't be a problem at 120gph in a 20 gal. I've done the same sort of GPH on a power head in a tank that size with an XP1 to go with it, and it was just fine. 120+250 = 370gph which is 18.5gph/gal. This is a high flow rate, but not unmanageable.

As stated, deflection works well. Sometimes angling towards the substrateso it rolls over the foreground plants can help. Use cross-flow with a vertically mounted rain bar if you feel like really moving the CO2 around.

For anyone who doesn't want to use a Rio for the needle wheel mod, I've been using the ViaAqua powerheads without any trouble. The impellers snip nicely, and all it requires besides that is drilling a hole in the center of the intake cover. They also come with a nice adjustable fan shaped nozel for them much like the ones made by loc-line that offers more of a horizontal spread.

-Philosophos

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005
Philosophos;41871 said:
A rio 600 shouldn't be a problem at 120gph in a 20 gal. I've done the same sort of GPH on a power head in a tank that size with an XP1 to go with it, and it was just fine. 120+250 = 370gph which is 18.5gph/gal. This is a high flow rate, but not unmanageable.

As stated, deflection works well. Sometimes angling towards the substrateso it rolls over the foreground plants can help. Use cross-flow with a vertically mounted rain bar if you feel like really moving the CO2 around.

For anyone who doesn't want to use a Rio for the needle wheel mod, I've been using the ViaAqua powerheads without any trouble. The impellers snip nicely, and all it requires besides that is drilling a hole in the center of the intake cover. They also come with a nice adjustable fan shaped nozel for them much like the ones made by loc-line that offers more of a horizontal spread.

-Philosophos

Thanks, flow seems to be working out OK. The bubble size is definitely a little large though. I see the 800 has a funky looking impeller available for it; I wonder if it churns any better?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Nice find; looks like that one has a fractionating impeller. I haven't tried it my self but it definitely seems worth a shot. Looks like the entire Rio Plus line comes with them:
TAAM Inc., Aquarium Products. Pumps: Rio Plus Aqua Pump/Powerhead

I'll be trying out one of these the next time I need a powerhead for CO2.

I wonder how long the plus has been out. Perhaps someone over at Taam was listening.

-Philosophos

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Well, it'd be nice to think that they were paying attention to us. :)

I suspect this is aimed more at the marine protein skimmer market though. Either way it's a great find!

-
S