This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Rio 600 RVT in a 20 gal?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Detritus Mulm, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Detritus Mulm

Detritus Mulm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    1:18 PM
    I just picked up a CO2 set up with 10# tank for about $200, but I did not have a reactor. So I'm using an Rio 600 RVT that I never used in the big tank. The flow seems a bit much for the 20, any ideas for toning it down a bit.

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Too Much?

Hi,

Honestly, the rated 120 gph on the Rio 600 RVT doesn’t seem bad to me, a rock or some other object to break up flow perhaps.

Are you going to modify powerhead for a needle-wheel or something?

I use sponge filters on the intakes of powerhead, with or without CO2 injectors, that reduces flow somewhat.

Biollante

3. Detritus Mulm

Local Time:

ATM I'm going to leave it the way it is, until I see how it works out. Tom recommended these pumps on another board, that's where I originally got the idea.

Not sure what to use for a muffler; I'd like something that difuses the flow without reducing the output too much. I could make something on the drill press, but I was hoping to be lazy.

4. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    How about an eductor? If you place a larger pipe around the existing output it will draw in water from the back of the pipe and create a larger flow with somewhat less velocity. The downside is you may end up with a lot more flow than you initially had. It will be a larger "jet" of water though so it may not be as bad. It may be completely the wrong thing for you though. FWIW, I was planning on snagging one of these for my Biocube 29 so the sizing seems fine.

-
    S

5. Detritus Mulm

Local Time:
    Thanks, Fluid Dynamics for Dummies. :)

6. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Fluid Dynamics for Dummies

Hi,

The RVT’s seem to be a favorite for needle-wheel modifications, I do not know if they are that much better suited or just someone started with it and the rest of us followed like sheep (or Lemmings?).:eek:

http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquatic-plant-fertilization/5809-needle-wheel-diy-modifications.html?highlight=needle+wheel

I use this technique with whatever powerhead I happen to have. I think the impeller on the RVT may be superior (or I may just be a Lemming). Strictly speaking, you do not need modify anything. I sometimes just run a tube or glass air stone (diffuser) straight into the intake. The problem with this is sometimes the impeller air (well CO2) locks and/or can be noisy.

I also use filter pad to ‘fuzz-up’ the CO2. I think Tom Barr has something in the link above.

I like the eductors; it really is a great method of maximizing flow without addition of pumps or increased power requirements. In a sense it is how those cool Hydor Koralia Magnum Circulation Pumps/Powerheads work.:)

A little Fluid Dynamics for Dummies, and a great source of (for?) educators http://www.kthsales.com/Default.HTM. Another I have not dealt with but seems like good information http://www.nciweb.net/eductors.htm.

Biollante

7. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    A rio 600 shouldn't be a problem at 120gph in a 20 gal. I've done the same sort of GPH on a power head in a tank that size with an XP1 to go with it, and it was just fine. 120+250 = 370gph which is 18.5gph/gal. This is a high flow rate, but not unmanageable.

As stated, deflection works well. Sometimes angling towards the substrateso it rolls over the foreground plants can help. Use cross-flow with a vertically mounted rain bar if you feel like really moving the CO2 around.

For anyone who doesn't want to use a Rio for the needle wheel mod, I've been using the ViaAqua powerheads without any trouble. The impellers snip nicely, and all it requires besides that is drilling a hole in the center of the intake cover. They also come with a nice adjustable fan shaped nozel for them much like the ones made by loc-line that offers more of a horizontal spread.

-Philosophos

8. Detritus Mulm

Local Time:

Thanks, flow seems to be working out OK. The bubble size is definitely a little large though. I see the 800 has a funky looking impeller available for it; I wonder if it churns any better?

9. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Nice find; looks like that one has a fractionating impeller. I haven't tried it my self but it definitely seems worth a shot. Looks like the entire Rio Plus line comes with them:
    TAAM Inc., Aquarium Products. Pumps: Rio Plus Aqua Pump/Powerhead

I'll be trying out one of these the next time I need a powerhead for CO2.

I wonder how long the plus has been out. Perhaps someone over at Taam was listening.

-Philosophos

10. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well, it'd be nice to think that they were paying attention to us. :)

I suspect this is aimed more at the marine protein skimmer market though. Either way it's a great find!

-
    S