This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Rimless Tank question

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by bill321, Feb 17, 2010.

1. bill321

bill321 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:37 PM
    I haven't even built my stand yet so I still have plenty of time to research and and ask questions......but here is another question I can't seem to find an answer to (probably because it is so broad and generic).

Is there anything special I should know about using and handling a rimless tank? I suspect that the only difference between a rimless tank and one with those plastic rims at the top and bottom is just that....a cheap plastic rim that hides sloppy work. But is there more to it than that? Does that plastic rim provide strength?

I will be sure to make sure the stand is perfectly level and use an ADA garden mat (or equivalent) under the glass bottom. But is there anything else I should know?

Can equipment such as lights or filters be clipped to the glass around the top rim or should I avoid having any stresses on those glass edges?

I know that this is not a very specific question.....but any advise would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to do something silly and cause damage that could have easily been avoided.

Thanks again,
    Bill321

2. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I would expect the plastic rim provides some reinforcement. I know on my tall 45 the center brace sags when the tank is empty and is taut when full. If you don't has a center brace that may not apply. I guess at that point the rim just keeps the silicone from damage as well as protects the glass from chipping. As long as you're careful around both you should be good.

-
    S

3. bill321

bill321 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the advice !

The Tank got delivered today and now that I have it in my possession and actually see it and how its built....well I guess I was just worrying too much. I had never had a rimless tank before and now that I see it I realize it isn't as fragile as I was thinking it would be :D

Thanks again!

Bill321

#3 bill321, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010
  4. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Just don't use it as a stand for your weightlifting equipment and you should be fine. :)

-
    S

5. Daniel

Daniel Guest

Local Time:
    7:37 AM
    Actually the black rims on aquariums are for support (because of inferior glass thickness). However rimless aquariums use thicker glass in order to accommodate water pressure, and the edges are smoothed for safety. Try www.glasscages.com

#5 Daniel, Apr 19, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Higher quality(I bought and will not do it again from GC's) would be from Lemar in Southern CA, and there's a few vendors that do custom glass tanks(another in Long Beach CA).
    These run about 1/2 or less the cost of the ADA for the larger tanks. For 70 Gal and smaller, get an ADA tank, eg from AFA(SF) or ADG(Houston).
    Or ask local glass makers etc.

No plastic rim, they are used to support, and you will need thicker glass for a rimless.

Regards,
    Tom Barr