Rimless 48 Gallon Manzanita Scape

C

CL_

Thanks, wet! This is one of my favorite scapes yet. Took the longest to put together, too :)

C

CL_

Thanks, Gerry! Not sure about what kind of fish. Seeing Tom's updates on his 180 sure has me wanting cardinals :D Tough to get any hardy stock around here. I could try RMC or someone similar on the forums. Any recommendations?

C

CL_

True rotala indica (ammania sp. bonsai)
2cpe3ix.jpg

Staurogyne Repens
34i1imf.jpg

I can see the belem's growth in person. Not as noticeable here
5mzau.jpg

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Nice. That's the perfect way to start R. indica, too. I'd suggest starting it a little higher up the hill, though. Then you can keep pushing the new growth down, tops towards the front of the tank. As ir branches up from the nodes it'll get you closer to the slope I think you're looking for faster, though trims will get you there, too, and like most Rotalas it likes being shaped.

The Hydrocotyle in the corners is going to look cool. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CL_

Thanks Wet! I actually just shoved the indica in there so that I'd have a sprig to use in other tanks down the road (that way I don't have to buy more later on). I don't think I'll be using it in this scape. It's growth pattern is too vertical. I'll be going for some nice greens. A couple different hydrocotyle sp., staurogyne repens, eleocharis belem, and that's probably it. The same hydrocotyle that I used as a foreground in the first pictures in this thread (IDK the sp.) will be spilling down from behind the rocks and growing under the verticalla. There will be a couple of staurogyne patches in there too. I'm currently running all four 39W T5HO bulbs @ 2 inches above the tank for 15 hours/ day. Trying to speed this growth along :).

BTW, does anybody remember that un- identified eleocharis that Aaron Talbot had a while back? The thin and whispy one that only gets 10 or so inches tall? I have had a bit of it (it's in the glass in the picture above) for a while now, and I was wondering if anybody ever got a scientific name for it.

C

CL_

2lxds9k.jpg

Thanks to a bit of growth and an unexpected package of stauro haha, my tank is filling in a bit more. Things are looking more like what I envisioned.
I'll be filling the tank in a few weeks. You can see where the old aquatic leaves on the stauro are a bit yellowed as the plant grows thicker, waxier emergent leaves. This starou branches unlike any other stem I've had before. No wonder it makes such a great carpet plant.

Last edited:

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Looking good. Is that Eriocaulon or baby Elocharis in the midground center?

C

CL_

They're plugs of eleocharis 'belem' that has yet to spread much. Hopefully it will be pretty full within a month. Wish I had realized the AGA conference was so near. If I give the tank another month to fill in emersed, I'll only have another month for it to grow submersed before the pictures are due. I might have decided that I would enter too late. Oh well :(

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
I hope it'll be just enough time to get the vision you have. Good luck at AGA! I love the rockwork and think you'll do well.

C

CL_

Yeah, the plants might look nice in that time, but they may not look mature after only being under water for a month.
Fingers crossed. Thanks!

C

CL_

Since one of the younger members of the family -insisted- on getting a goldfish at the fair..
1r524l.jpg
I'm not a fan of the gravel. Kinda ugly, IMO. I'll most likely be covering it with moss anyway. Moss on the wood too. Lot's of it most likely. (pardon the outdated cellphone- It's not mine. I swear :D)

Also got some pics of the stauro and verticalla. The stauro really branches a lot. There's a new shoot coming out of each leaf node. Exponential growth, quite literally :)
dewnq9.jpg

ih4aaw.jpg

If you think hydrocotyle is a weed underwater, you'd be amazed to see it grow emersed.
Verticalla:
2j4vjx2.jpg

Whatever the scientific name of this one is:
35hlbia.jpg

C

CL_

Figured I'd share :)
There was a huge (~5 inch long) praying mantis on my window today, so I decided to give it a home in here for the day so I could watch it move around. :) The tank was even big enough for her to fly around.
2dquemw.jpg

14mccnk.jpg

C

CL_

After a very busy couple of weeks, that were a ton of fun nonetheless, I'm wondering if I will ever have time to take care of a filled aquarium with plants :(
In the meantime (post trim)...
fel0nc.jpg

1zbsymh.jpg

2n0seb7.jpg

C

CL_

Boy, does college take a ton of time, especially when you join the engineering fraternity, and the engineering student council, combined with intramural sports and homework.
Had some time today for a little bit of maintenance- trimming/ moving some stems.
2e0ivk2.jpg

That picture turned out really dark

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Totally cute tank. I like how you keep your Hydrocotyle especially. The Mantis looked awesome in there. Did you get the shot you wanted for AGA this year?

The Goldie's 20 long is an awesome kid's tank!

C

CL_

Thanks, Wet. The goldfish tank is actually a 40 breeder. I did not get the shot I wanted- will have to wait for next year.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've come to really like this tank, rock and plant choice.

I think adding the mantis is cool too.
Feed the poor beast!!!

Take a good pic and see if you can fool folks into thinking it has water, till.............they see the mantis.

Next, get some water scorpions.
They would look similar, but be aquatic.
They last maybe 6 months in tanks.

Regards,
Tom Barr