Riccia - proper conditions?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

A few questions on growing this plant....sorry about the length...

I recently acquired a small amount, maybe the size of a golf ball.

I have a small clump stuck in some driftwood about 6" below the water surface directly under one of the MH bulbs. Color is a nice dark green and I see daily pearling from the tips, but I thought that this close to the light, pearling would be more intense. Also, color is deepening well, but growth seems slow in terms of mass.

I also have another clump free floating. Color is lighter and not as much pearling and same lack of growth rate.

I added this plant about 4-5 weeks ago with some java fern and H. difformis. In this time the latter two plants have inceased their mass, size, # of leaves, etc immensely in comparison.

1. What is a good way to RAPIDLY grow some of this plant, so I have more to work with.

2. Is using a clear fishing line an approved practice to attach to rocks or wood? Or is there something better?

3. Once fastened as #2, will they ever fasten of thier own accord, like java moss and the line be cut away? Or is the expectation that the plant just overgrow the fasteners?

4. What is the max depth that this plant can be grown well at given the following conditions?

180 gal tank 72x24x24
3x150w MH 6500k suspended 11" above surface 9.5 hr photo period. This can be adjusted but will affect light/shadow patterns to rest of tank....
Full EI with 30 ppm c02 (4 kh DC) and auto c02 10lb bottle ph meter at 6.6
60-75% weekly WC

5. How fast does this plant grow under good conditions? How should I set my expectations?

6. What are the 'best' or optimal conditions for this plant?

7. If anyone in the S. FL area needs any Java fern reg and lace or H. difformis please PM me. It grows like a weed since I started EI and will soon have way too much.

Thanks again to all..

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
Sebbersund, Denmark
what kind of tapwater do you have?
riccia is a fastgrower as well, but it needs access to all micro's and makros..
even the ones we don't really supply..
Growing Riccia commercially, I have an advantage of monthly water reports etc. and if I find a drop in one nutrient, the Riccia will have responded equally.

Riccia NEVER attaches itself.. it might get stuck to something, but it won't stay there..
Riccia can grow underwater stuck in javamoss, driftwood, eleocharis etc. but now of it's own accord.
Tying it with fishing line is fine.
An easier way would be to use hairnet. that way you have a better hold on more mass, than when you tie it.. you need a lot of fishingline to have the same hold.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey,

I don't have a detailed tap water analysis (yet) but:

Tap
PH 7.5
GH 140-160 MG/l CaC03
KH 90-100 mg/L

Tank
Ph 6.6-6.8
Temp 80.1 F
Ammonia 0 mg/L
Nitrate 0 mg/l
Nitrite 0 mg/l

So #2 and 3 are answered so far. I thought that was the case, but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the prompt reply..............

Any further help on the thousand other questions?

Thanks for the help and to all who may send further advice :)

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
Sebbersund, Denmark
1. What is a good way to RAPIDLY grow some of this plant, so I have more to work with.

2. Is using a clear fishing line an approved practice to attach to rocks or wood? Or is there something better?

3. Once fastened as #2, will they ever fasten of thier own accord, like java moss and the line be cut away? Or is the expectation that the plant just overgrow the fasteners?

4. What is the max depth that this plant can be grown well at given the following conditions?

180 gal tank 72x24x24
3x150w MH 6500k suspended 11" above surface 9.5 hr photo period. This can be adjusted but will affect light/shadow patterns to rest of tank....
Full EI with 30 ppm c02 (4 kh DC) and auto c02 10lb bottle ph meter at 6.6
60-75% weekly WC

5. How fast does this plant grow under good conditions? How should I set my expectations?

6. What are the 'best' or optimal conditions for this plant?

7. If anyone in the S. FL area needs any Java fern reg and lace or H. difformis please PM me. It grows like a weed since I started EI and will soon have way too much.

1. grow it floating on the surface of a tank.. CO2, ferts etc.

4. max depth is controlled by light. Enough light will grow it as deep as you want.

5. plant doubles in 3 weeks approx.

6. lots of CO2, ferts, traces, minerals... generally grow it at a medium kH, gH, with good supply of nutrients.. when happy it is a nutrient sponge.

7. ehm.. can't help you there.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Ricca is a great indicator of CO2, you can see the pearling increase rapidly with more CO2.

It's otherwise pretty under demanding, water column ferts obviously........

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Symbiot,

Thanks for the numbered and detailed responses! I already have it floating but nice to confirm it is a good place for it...

Not sure what 'ehm..' means???:confused:

Tom,

Yes I see that it is a good pearler (is that a word?).....have to say the Java fern is also a much better pearler(?) than I thought, undersides of leaves are covered with bubbles large and small. Always a cloud of bubbles is released when fish brush against the leaves......

Riccia is multiplying a little bit more, and hope for some more substantial growth with some patience and TLC..........nice color as well.

Thanks again for the help.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Update after 7 weeks

Hey all,

Just to provide an update on how well the Riccia grew out. Took a while but was worth it, IMO.

I grew the plant out by letting it float on the surface. I corralled it in one corner of the tank by the overflow, with plenty of light.

Ended up with several large mats, which I was able to attach to driftwood and shards of flower pots. I hope for it to grow out and cover more of the substrate.

Here is an album of photos in case anyone is interested in how it ended up.

I dose full EI, auto c02, etc.

The plants are now over 24" away from the light and I get very heavy pearling.

The more c02 they get, the more they pearl, as Tom pointed out.

Thanks to Martin and Tom for their advice.

I followed it and got exactly what I was hoping for.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

gerrydirish/Riccia Growth - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
Sebbersund, Denmark
Nive photos.. nice tank.

glad we could help! by the looks of the massive amounts you've used, I figure you're a fully fledged Riccia grower!