This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

RFUG, the old method of UG filtration for aquatic plants

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Tom Barr, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    7:39 PM
    This is a post that will show some old methods I used to pick at the heating cable issue from year's past. The general idea was to have some controllable and measurable way to adjust the rates of flow, export, O2 ., redox through a sediment.

Cables work via thermal currents, much like a fire place gate does, but this is not particularly controllable, so there's little way of modifying and testing it, and the sediment will clog over time etc and change as roots make new pathways and so forth(these latter two issues have never been addressed by Cable folks or the ADA power sand groups).

To address this idea, that adding O2/current from the water column above will add some benefit to aquatic plants, bacteria, roots, cycling, long or short term gains, the RUFG seemed well suited and I'd made them and used them for a decade prior with good success for plants and non planted systems.

"Excelon" was an old brand from the 1970's through perhaps the 1980's that was a tube series type of UG instead of the plates. This allows the plant roots to grow around them without clogging unlike the plate style. In Reverse flow, this sediment particle size no longer matters either and it keeps the water coming in nice and clean(more stable flow).

Since the user has control over the rates of flow, a simple ball valve can be added to siphon off as much flow as desired to use for the water column and the rest can be directed into the RFUG grid. I used this method with Kitty litter even and it worked very well after a day or cloudiness and a water change, there after it worked superb.

I'll take some pictures and post them sometime this week.
    Does not take long to make these either.

Regards,
    Tom Barr