This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Revolutionary way to inject CO2 or Commercial crap?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by jonny_ftm, Sep 11, 2009.

1. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    1:11 PM
    Hi,

This is about the AquariumPlants.com's Electronic Co2 Regulator.

AquariumPlants.com's Electronic Co2 Regulator

It has an electronic valve that opens and closes in a fraction of a second, (each "opening & closing" equates to a bubble) and, due to the fact that it is "electronic" the "bubble rate" can never change

They claim it as the ultimate way to get rid also of the dumping we see in CO2 at the end of the life of canister, or with external reactors depending on the pump flow

I thought at it for a while, then found a suspicious issue, letting me think it is only crap commercial claims. Here's an extract from an email I sent them:

I never got an answer, despite their claims they can be freely joined and answer all requests.

Just a warning to move your way from such products claiming to be the best in the world. Bubble rate isn't all in CO2 injection. Needle valves have their bps varry depending on pressure. This electronic valve, in my opinion, will have a variable flow despite a fixed bps. So, you won't even be able to monitor the changes before you see your plants die or your fish gasp on surface

2. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
  3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Buy A Couple

Hi Jonny, Nipat,

Jonny’s point that bubble rate is not all there is to CO2 injection is certainly correct. In fact, I believe bubble rate comparisons are for the most part, useless and people spend way too much time and gas on this drivel. If the bubble rate is so important and you have an electronic device, why are we counting LED flashes?

I have to go with the conclusions that Tom Barr and VaughnH reach in http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquatic-plant-fertilization/5236-has-anyone-tried-electronic-regulator.html I have honestly never seen this dreaded End of Tank Dump Syndrome and the cases where I regard the people reporting the incident reliable has been around single stage or cheap requlators.

I like the folks at AquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants & aquarium products community. I have purchased plants from them and not once been disappointed, however their failure to answer Jonny’s query leads me do wonder about their statement “We guarantee, that, nowhere on this planet can you find a BETTER or MORE PRECISE regulator! (This is OUR baby, we built it, tested it, and patent it)” at AquariumPlants.com's Electronic Co2 Regulator it is a big old world and lately I have seen some high precision devices.

The other question I have and Tom Barr touched on this: What happens when it fails? I have yet in my many revolutions of the sun seen a solenoid (or for that matter any other device) that can’t fail.

Having said all of that I think you people ought to by a couple and tell us how they work.:D

Biollante