This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Reusing Substrate??

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by rs18alpha, Jul 24, 2018.

1. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    10:35 AM
    I tore down a tank about two weeks ago. I have some Fluval Stratum with a little sand and pea gravel that's been in a bucket for two weeks.
    Is ok to re use this stuff?

There's a little old tank water in the bottom of the bucket. If I rinse it out really good will it be ok to use again??
    I just want to re use the Stratum and the gravel.

What do you think?

2. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    11:35 AM
    Generally okay, but it won't be like new Stratum ( pH lowering etc.). As it was kept in a bucket it is also possible that some anaerobic areas developed, likely due to organics accumulated in an old soil. I recommend that you wash the substrate really well and expose it to air a few hours. As long as it's still moist the bacteria will survive.

3. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    10:35 AM
    Thanks, I've already set up the new tank with ADA Colorado sand in front and Flourite Dark in the back. I'm not worried if the old substrate looses it's bacteria after I wash it. If it does than I guess I'll have a mini cycle, correct?

What I wanted to do with the old Stratum is to add it to the back right to gain some height. Is that ok?

4. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    11:35 AM
    If the mini cycle happens depends on many other factors, better to treat it like new soil in the bacteria aspect.

I don't see why not, do the same steps as above however.