This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Returning to the Hobby with Office Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by tsmith2627, Sep 19, 2016.

1. tsmith2627

tsmith2627 Subscriber

Local Time:
    8:23 PM
    Greetings,

I am returning to the aquarium after 12 years of absence. When last I left, I had a 90 gallon planted tank with apistos, a rough pressurized CO2 setup, and a DYI VHO lighting system--- I think CFL were just starting to hit at some specialty stores in the area. I am adding a ADA tank to my office. Its supposed to help with relaxation and the joy of "puttering" in the tank--- we will see! I have the ability to purchase the whole system --- lights, CO2, hardscape, everything in a whole package down here in Houston. I am trying to jump into the research to see if I need to change the components that are being recommended. So far this looks like the place for research and help!

2. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    What's the set-up look like?

Lights/Filtration/Substrate/Low-Tech/CO2/Tank Size etc....

3. tsmith2627

tsmith2627 Subscriber

Local Time:
    That is what I am finalizing. I am buying this as a complete setup but I have the ability to configure. I am looking to go mid - high tech on the tank. Plants are a priority, I like the whole ecosystem setup. On my previous tank years ago it seemed the more plants that more stable the tank for the fish.

Here is the package that was presented to me:

ADA 120H (approx:48"x18"x24") not quite a 90 gallon

Filter: Eheim 2217

Substrate: ADA Aquasoil 9L

Pressurized CO2: either Greenleaf or Precision Marine System (in tank diffuser)

Lighting: 3 Truelumen Pro 48" (White Diamond)

I am trying to figure out the lighting. Back in the day I was running 2- 48" AquaSun VHO bulbs with an Ice Cap electronic ballast. Today the lighting world has changed so much. I want LED for long term cost and durability. The other lighting systems that were recommended were Kessil Tuna Sun 160 and Ecotec Radion XR15W FW. The Truelumen lights seem fairly straight forward, and the others seem very customizable. (I do enjoy red plants so I know lighting is important regarding spectrum).

As far as CO2 goes, I could build my own I guess, but it seems Greenleaf has a complete system that could be cheaper and I have heard complaints about Aquateck and Milwaukee regulators.

Any thoughts or suggestions. Nothing has been finalized yet, so I can customize.

4. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi , if you want to fill all the bottom of the tank with aqua soil , 9 liters won't be enough for your tank 120 H , you will need at least 2 bags of 9 liters and maybe one more of 3 liters , but this depends on how you plan to build your scape

#4 skija, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2016
  5. tsmith2627

tsmith2627 Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks, I was told 4-5 bags.

2 people like this.
  6. tsmith2627

tsmith2627 Subscriber

Local Time:
    Here is my last tank over 12 years ago. This tank had been in decline as I had to move it several times and I sold it to pay for my honeymoon. I had some huge Angels in this tank. Gravel and root tabs will a little pressurized CO2, and two VHO 48' bulbs. The pics on this site have set me to a new standard

7. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    There is an excellent article, How To Set Up a Planted Tank by Sundeep Mandal. It is available on our website, http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com. Best of luck with the tank. An aquarium makes a nice focus point when you are cogitating about issues at work.

8. tsmith2627

tsmith2627 Subscriber

Local Time: