This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Results of tap water testing, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by edwardsmith, May 25, 2015.

1. edwardsmith

edwardsmith Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    10:21 AM
    I'm in the process of designing my first planted tank and was hoping to get some feedback on test results from my tap water (well water).

The "locals" tell me we have "a lot of CO2 in our water".....? Some reef hobbyists in the neighborhood even use CO2 scrubbers. I know there's a lot of minerals based on the limescale on my faucets, as we don't use a water softening system.

KH 20 dKH (358ppm)

GH 78 dGH (322 ppm)

pH 7.6

Ammonia 1ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 0ppm

TDS 330ppm

I know enough that the KH and GH are high, but do you think I will have problems managing a high tech system?

Thanks for any help

2. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    10:21 AM
    You may have issues with some of the touchier Rotalas, Tonina, Eriocaulon etc. But you'll be OK if you stick with hardy plants found in pet stores. Since it's your first tank, you'll want to stick with easier plants anyway. Or you could get an RO unit and reconstitute the water with GH booster.

3. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:21 AM
    Your water sound similar to mine.... Tds ~500ppm lots of co2 - limestone soup. I'd suggest for water changes let the water sit in one of those clear Rubbermaid containers overnight with a power head or air stone to drive off some of the excess co2 before adding it to the tank. I killed a few fish by putting it straight in from the tap before I figured it out. The soda bubbles on the glass were pretty but the fish didn't like them. :(