Resin in Canister Filter

lightyear

Prolific Poster
Sep 24, 2010
Hello,

I've seen a filter media for canister filter that says "resin filter". It looks like a bioballs but claims to remove organic waste, etc. ever heard of resin filter before? does it work?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Yes... Apparently...

Hi,

Works kind of like water softeners, ion exchange, I have only seem them at a LFS, they say it works, I do not see any reason it shouldn't. :)

I do not know that it is any better than Purigen or activated charcoal or any other stuff... :cool:

Biollante

lightyear

Prolific Poster
Sep 24, 2010
Biollante;56728 said:
Hi,

Works kind of like water softeners, ion exchange, I have only seem them at a LFS, they say it works, I do not see any reason it shouldn't. :)

I do not know that it is any better than Purigen or activated charcoal or any other stuff... :cool:

Biollante

you think its safe in planted tank and will help crystal clear water? or better off buying purigen for me, the stuff is cheaper, if it does the same thing might get this.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Cheap & Easy

Hi,

The resin is probably safe enough, I have seen them operating in a fish store. :rolleyes:

I tend to think it is a bit of a scam, :p but some folks think me a cheapskate, :eek: primarily spouse, mother-in-law, kids, employees, lawyers, accountants and pretty much anyone that have ever met me... :eek:

I would go with Purigen.

Biollante

lightyear

Prolific Poster
Sep 24, 2010
Biollante;56732 said:
Hi,

The resin is probably safe enough, I have seen them operating in a fish store. :rolleyes:

I tend to think it is a bit of a scam, :p but some folks think me a cheapskate, :eek: primarily spouse, mother-in-law, kids, employees, lawyers, accountants and pretty much anyone that have ever met me... :eek:

I would go with Purigen.

Biollante

thanks for input. in contrary to me I avoid overrated product filled with marketing talks thats though I'm willing to pay for premium price once proven. i'll check purigen then, did it reaaly made your tank crystal clear?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
And You Can Recharge It...

lightyear;56744 said:
thanks for input. in contrary to me I avoid overrated product filled with marketing talks thats though I'm willing to pay for premium price once proven. i'll check purigen then, did it reaaly made your tank crystal clear?

Hi,

Yes, it does make ths water crystal clear. Purigen is one of those outstanding products that delivers on the claims. :cool:

I do not use Purigen or Chem-Pure or activated charcoal or diatomaceous earth or micron filters all the time. :):)

Biollante

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
hbosman;56755 said:
Does Purigen remove nitrates or any other nutrients?

Not significantly. Likely the best choice and over time, more economical than Carbon for most folks.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
The Time Has Come To Speak of Many Things: Of Shoes--& Ships--& Salts-- & Organics

hbosman;56755 said:
Does Purigen remove nitrates or any other nutrients?

Hi All,

This is interesting to me and I think it is where a lot of the nonsense regarding fertilizers in aquariums comes in. :confused:

Activated carbon, Purigen and so forth remove “organic” material. Organic nitrates and phosphates and so forth act differently then the salts. :confused:

Activated carbon and Purigen remove organic nitrates and phosphates, but these “organics” appear, to me anyway to be bad actors. So in a tank with a lot of organic compounds hanging around the level of Nitrates are reduced by the use of Purigen and so forth. :)

The salts we typically dose are not affected at all by Purigen.

I do not understand this other than to state the obvious, by definition to be “organic” the compound must include carbon. :rolleyes: Further and equally obvious the electrical make-up and the interfacial pressures and behavior of “organic compounds compared to “salts” are different. :rolleyes:

Somewhere in all of this comes the reason one group of honest and reasonably diligent folks can find, for instance, a level of Nitrates that appear to be toxic while another sees no problem with many times the level. :confused:

Always been curious about this. :)

Perhaps another thread... :eek:
Biollante

hbosman

Guru Class Expert
Oct 22, 2008
Leesburg VA USA
Very interesting! I would like to hear more why it works more on organics vs. salts. Since Purigen seems to be endorsed here, I think I have to give it a try.

James121

Junior Poster
Oct 14, 2010
I have a resun canister 808 model 1600l/hr.
It seems to do the job so far and i've had it running for 2 yrs and has'nt skip a beat yet. It gets a little noisy when the media begins to clog up,but it gives me an indication that it's time for cleaning.
I'm not sure about the current line up in the resun range,but i guess it pays to do a little research before taking the plunge. Incidently my mate is on the hunt for a cannister w/ uv also.