This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rescape of my 37 gallon tall with Seiryu stone

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by ShadowMac, Jun 16, 2011.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Here is a poor quality photo of my latest efforts with my 37 gallon tall aquarium. Please critique.

Specs:

Lighting: 2x24W T5HO's with 2 powerbrite LED's and lunar lights

Filtration/Flow: eheim 2217 with spraybar

CO2: pressurized with inline atomizer and GLA regulator

substrate: ADA aquasoil NEW with some older aquasoil 1

Plants: eleocharis parvula, eleocharis belem (back left and right), Blyxxa japonica, HM, staurogyne repens, didiplis diandra, pogostemon stellatus (I think it is the broad leaf variety), rotala macandra green, pogostemon helferi "downoi", narrow leaf micro sword, hygrophilia corymbosa "compact", limnophilia hippuroides (not sure about this one)

[​IMG]

I am not sure if I like the blyxxa in the middle and was thinking of swapping/replacing it with the didiplis diandra on the right. OR putting some type of fern there. other suggestions?

My goal is to have a final shape like an upside down V with the rotala macandra green forming the primary background with the other plants providing contrast and dimension in front of it.

Please provide comments, suggestions, critiques, etc. Thanks for looking and responding!

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

is the pic such poor quality that it is not in the thread? Or can I just not see it :)

3. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

haha! WHAT!? you can't see 5mm film? I knew it wouldn't upload when I stuffed the film into my disc drive...

almost that bad, taken with my Droid X. I can see it when the page loads. I will add it another way too.

4. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

another pic upload

[​IMG]

5. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Nice. I would move the intake strainer to the other side as the plant growth will hide it. Just need to ensure the growth doesn't block it either...

6. GillesF

GillesF Subscriber

I still can't see the picture :(

7. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

8. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Looks like you're off to a good start. I agree with Gerry about the intake especially since it looks like you're going for the sloping downward right to left. If that's bacopa on the right you can trim that like mad it will grow back extremely fast and dense.

Take this with a mighty big grain of salt, cause my eye for aesthetics is normally pretty bad. I might have used moss on the stone instead of the needle leaf java. Also I wonder with the way you scaped the rock if you might be better doing more of a normal curve look low high low, instead of low middle high. With no plants behind the rock or perhaps some stems following the background contour of the rock.

9. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

Fred Gerryd, thanks for your input.

I am going for a low high low with the background contouring. I'm allowing most of the plants to overgrow before trimming. The plant on the right is lindernia variegated and it will remain farely short compared. The plant in the middle is blyxxa, and this one I am not sure I like there. I was considering moving the didiplis diandra from the right there. I'm open to suggestions. In fact I would WELCOME suggestions on what would look nice there.

I have several mosses available to try: fissidens fontanus, mini xmas moss, taiwan moss, flame moss, some others that I have mixed up and can't identify. I also have fissidens geppii on the way that may look good in some locations.

The setup is only 2 weeks old, so it has a ways to go yet.

Eventually I hope to have the rotala macandra green make up the majority of the low-high-low background. I have some wisteria behind the tall right rock that I hope will fill in some empty space and provide some dense greenery in that location.

10. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

I would move the Blyxa to the background, I would not fill that place, but if I have to, I would use a shorter grass than that Blyxa, the Didipis diandra could be too tall too.

Regards,
    Juan

11. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

If I don't have anything in that location it will transition straight the the pogostemon and I don't know how that would look. There would be a tall stem in that space

12. GillesF

GillesF Subscriber

I like your hardscape! Personally, I'd lower the amound of plant species and only use a few. Some low gras/HC as foreground and in between rocks and the in the right corner some taller plants.

13. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

I agree totally and would like to see you try a more minimalist approach .....

Your tank of course :)

I do like the current setup however. The rocks are very strong. How many orientations did you try first lol

It took me forever to place my 8-9 stones :)

14. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

You realize now I can see ALL the pics including the one you originally posted :) Not sure why I could not see them earlier.

Oh well.

15. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Where did you get those rocks?

16. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

when working with the stones, i did a few sketches first.
    [​IMG]

I then messed around with them a bit on a work table.

[​IMG]

This article helped a great deal when thinking about how to setup the rocks. Its for reefers but applies to anyone using stones, IMO : http://www.h2oplusomething.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72:aquascaping&catid=52:aquascaping&Itemid=64#fragment-2

The stones were purchased from www.aquaforestaquarium.com They usually have a wide assortment of stones, not cheap but better than anything I can find locally. I can find lava rock and petrified wood here. A shop in fargo actually carries more than just slate and live rock. Other stones without identfications if I walk around.

I think once things are trimmed down and it takes shape it won't look so busy with the number of species. Its overgrown right now and needs time before trimming. A couple plants in there I'm not sure if they will stay, but for now I'm letting it grow. I'm fairly sure I will be removing the blyxxa in the middle. It is too "strong" there. I like the idea of maybe C. lucens there or a fern.

What do you think of adding a moss/liverwart on top of the flanking stones on the left and/or right? fissidens geppii?

Also, how about the light levels? 2x24 W T5HO's on an icecap, probably running around 30-40W each. Each bulb has a reflector, the tank is a deeper around 20". I also am running some LED's but I don't know the PAR with them. I've run into some algae, but think it may be just a symptom of things getting into balance for a new setup. I think my dosing needs to be increased, especially some GH booster with the RO. I think I ran into a calcium deficiency, holes in the leaves of some plants. Hygro compact and pogostemon stellatus.

17. GillesF

GillesF Subscriber

18. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Ah so those are ADA stones.

19. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Couldn't the holes in the leaves be caused by a potassium deficiency? There is some K in your GH Booster, but you may need to add K2SO4 too if the increased GH Booster doesn't help.

#19 Left C, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
  20. ShadowMac

Lifetime Member

I didn't rule that out either, in general I increased most of my dosing. It is currently double the suggested EI for that size of a tank. But the lighting is not that low and it has ample CO2.

The strange thing is this: when i first ran this tank I had 4x24W T5's on it. I used half the dosing I am now without running into these deficiencies. It may be that earlier setups were more CO2 limited with poor flow and inconsistent CO2. It is too early to tell if the increase helps since I am only 2 doses into the increased regiment.

The difference between then and now is the RO, which lead me to Calcium as the more likely culprit.

Although after looking at how the deficiencies manifest it looks more like a potassium deficiency.

#20 ShadowMac, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011