Request: Bio Indicator List

Kevmo

Junior Poster
Jan 23, 2005
Hi Tom,

I have a request for a new article.... A list of Bio Indicators (Algae) and what conditions cause them and prevent them.

For instance: I'd love to know more about why BBA forms and what is the real reason. I've seen some say that it's the nitrate/phosphate ratio, but that seems contrary to your views.

I'm wrestling with a Brown Out (massive brown algae attack) and I'd love to know what has caused it in the first place...

This would be SO HELPFUL and would probably reduce some of the questions people ask of you.

Kevmo

JamesC

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Kent, UK
Re: Request: Bio Indicator List

Paul said:
I would like to see pictures of them as well....

Paul

I agree. Sometimes it seems more difficult to identify an algae than get rid of it. Different websites and books call the same thing different names.

James

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

This can be done but in a simple fashion quickly or a long fashion later.
I have a list of articles in a progression.

These things will be covered in gory detail.

But I can put up a quick version.

The photo's will refer to the species latin name, then the known accepted common names.

I do not have every algae species out there, I can use some good photo's of the algae, Green spot, green dust, BBA, Spirogyra and these need to be with permission or from your own files, not pirated off the web sites.

BBa is not caused or helped by NO3./PO4 ratios, someone does not have control of their CO2 and wants to blame these.
We did this, tried varying the PO4 and NO3 from 1.8ppm to 0 ppm PO4 and 0-75 ppm of NO3.

The BBA did great in all cases. Adding more CO2 caused many smaples to turn white and in every case stop growing when consistent CO2 levels in the 20-30ppm ranges were added.

Regards,
Tom Barr

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005

Here's a nice picture of my Staghorn Algae, Tom.

The tank has been running since last October. Started with some hair algae (maybe brown algae too but I've got 5 otos) and then the staghorn suddenly exploded into life. I cured it with bleaching plants, rocks and wood. Removed the top layer of eco-complete and bleached that too. I ended up feeding the fish a bit less and added extra traces. Also calcium as I had a sure deficiency. It's not grown back. Still find the occasional strand on gravel I missed, but no problem.

A week later I noticed some cynobacteria. Increased KNO3 to 15ppm, took CO2 to 32ppm - it was at 25ppm. It all died back. Happy. :)

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

reiverix said:
Here's a nice picture of my Staghorn Algae, Tom.

Until Mr. Barr decides where he would like them ... can you upload your algae pictures to the Algae Gallery?

Click on the Gallery Link above, then click on the Algae Gallery, and then click on the Upload link ...

Thanks,
Greg

m lemay

Prolific Poster
Jan 23, 2005
CT

I have a request for a new article.... A list of Bio Indicators (Algae) and what conditions cause them and prevent them.
Also, how bout, deficiency symptom photos, I can post a few of those, only problem is I'm not sure what the deficiency is yet!

Marcel

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

m lemay said:
Also, how bout, deficiency symptom photos, I can post a few of those, only problem is I'm not sure what the deficiency is yet!

Marcel

I would post them ... there is a description area where you can *disclaim* not knowing what the specific deficiency is ...

And interestingly, the gallery section works just like the forums, people can "respond" to each picture ... potentially providing public feedback on what the deficiency might actually be ...

Most importantly, as the quantity of "raw material" grows, it provides an opportunity in the future for pictures to be organized later on ...

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Yes, as Greg mentions, the raw materials are important!

I for one, am not like these pirates on the web and go around snitching images.

Many Forums do this and the moderators and list owners do not doing anything about the violations of copyright laws. This is true for ARTICLES AND PHOTOS!

It's not hard to take your own photos or ask for permission, most will say yes, just be polite!

I would rather take them or have them supplied by the members willingly and with permission!

So any ya got, send them!
We will select the best and use them in the articles and the eventual book even.

Thanks!

Regards,
Tom Barr