Replanting Nymphaea and hygrophila polysperma

Sanniejop

Oct 6, 2021
Netherlands
For a long time I was struggeling with my plants growth. Finaly I have my plants growing for a bit so now I can focus more on the scape looks. So now I have some questions about replanting plants.
As you can see, my Nymphaea's are planted at a very wrong position. And now they are getting to big and are blocking the front view. They grown from a bulb but this is not connected any more. Can I trouble free root these plant up and replant them on a different place? Or will this kill the plants?

Also I was wondering what is the best method for creating a nice bush of hygrophila polysperma stems. Until now I repeatedly replanted the tops. But I was wondering if it is better just to cut them down allowing them to generate a good rootsystem?

Thanks for your advice

Attachments

• 20211113_144403.jpg
    20211113_144403.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 151

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
Yes you can move the Nymphaea as a normal rossette plant. Often the bulb will sprout a new plant in time.

You can do both with H. polysperma. Usually if the bottoms look bad just remove them, otherwise let them in to brach more heavily.

Lmuhlen

Jan 20, 2021
Brazil
Are there any tricks for making the Nymphaeae grow in a more compact way? Mine grows very large leaves, that slowly try to reach the surface. Yours seems to have much smaller leaves.

Sanniejop

Oct 6, 2021
Netherlands
Are there any tricks for making the Nymphaeae grow in a more compact way? Mine grows very large leaves, that slowly try to reach the surface. Yours seems to have much smaller leaves.
I assume you mean the length of the leaf stems. I find my leafs itself quite big. Until now I did not do anything special. I have never cut leave. Not yet.
But I have read that you have to cut the leaves that are giong up to make the new ones staying lower. But I dont understand how this would work. Maybe also the light intensity has to do something with it?

Lmuhlen

Jan 20, 2021
Brazil
No, the leaves themselves are large, much larger than yours. The stem also gets lenghty over time, eventually when they start getting close to the surface, maybe after 1 month, I cut them.

And regarding your original question, I also moved mine one time and it went well. I had to trim the roots because they were very long.