replacing R Macrandra with what?

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
Okay. My R Mac. looks only so so, even when it is pearling like mad and growing great leaves.. and getting great color.. inces down from the top everything else looks ratty.

I like the idea of a great red plant in the spot.. what would you all recommend?

I have probably too much light :) co2 gas at 30 ppm kh of 1 or less , gh added to tank everyweek and I dose ei.

thanks!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Try Ludwigia granulosus/peruinesis

Regards,
Tom Barr

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
I hae some in a differnt spot.. my purple..

btw.. how do you propogate this properly/?

I seem to have Ludwiga plantlets .. little seedlings floating in the tank.. but sometimes I wonder if they were from something else as they look very similar but not exaclty like adult ludwiga Glandulosa.

also how do you propogate l. Ver. pantanal?

finally any last hints for mac before I give up? should I add MORE iron than tropica master gro?

David Hui

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2005
You could try Rotala Macrandra "Narrow Leaf" and I also like Ludiwigia Guinea.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
sherry;16734 said:
btw, macrandra new growth is blood red under lower light!

So do you think that R macradra needs high light to grow redder then?

Regards,
Tom Barr

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
obviously not.. now can you tell me why I have this green algae (thread??) under lower light that I didn't have on high?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Probably still have CO2 related issues and/or low dosing.
I have little algae issues, green particularly, when I focus on good consistent dosing and good CO2.

That applies to both low and high light.

Regards,
Tom Barr

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
help then please.
drop checker is mid green with kh5 solution
mist visible
nice even current, as evidenced by ripples, nd the green is on the surface and hjghest leaves.

dosing for 30 gallon cube
1/4 t kno3 3x a week
1/16 t kp04 3x a week
1/16 t kS04 3x a week

tmg 7 ml 3x a week.

kh 0 -.5
gh (not sure I dose ghbooster tho 1/4t each week at water change)

60 % water change every saturday.. redosing macros upon fill
68 watts over 20'' cube.. and most of the aglage is developing over the Blyxia Albertii which is under the 28 watt fixture. I have almost none under the 40 watt fixture.

Tom I have drunk the KoolAid. I will try anything you suggest. I am already doubling up on water changes to try to beat this back. I am thinking of evicting my poor bristlenose pleco as the fattest poopiest fish -- I feel terrible doing it unless I can find him a NICER home... I am probably slightly overstocked but all the other fish are teeny or skinny(ie 2 farlowella cats -- one pair of cacatoides the male never grew past 3/4 inch the female is normal sized ) 11 ardinals, 7 rasbora espi, a few rummys from another era, a four tilted pencils one blue tetra and one no-named small tetra (both have just been there for 3 years.)

everything growing fast I actually am not sure if it slowed down with the light change.. it may have, but still racing ahead.

I think I have too much substrate and want to pull some out when I do the rescape (if Manzanita.com ever sends me wood :) ) and from your posts the green algae i've got seems to be the "inherited kind"