Replacing my Substrate

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
I'm replacing my SMS Substrate with ECO , My Tank is 60x18x24 I have about 80lb of SMS , 6 inches in the back an sides then slops down to the center front to 3 inches. I have 6 boxes of ECO {2 20lb bags each =240lb} Should I leave about an inch or half inch of SMS in and place the ECO on top to help with the Cycle of the tank and leave my dirty filter in for a couple of days before replacing it also?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Ink,

Do it in several sections and give 7-10 days between sections.

Better for the tank, you, etc.

I would remove ALL of the old.

Just do 2-3 x weekly water changes of 50% for several weeks while this is ongoing to reduce nh4.......

If you can toss in a couple mature sponges will help get the new substrate cycled...

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
will I change my Sub over , It took me all day for 1pm to 9pm I end up cleaning the tank out real good . Fill tank half way couple of times for water changes , Tomorrow I will do a couple of times more,
I did notice some stones mix in my bag like a 5 size stones? I didn't use the packet that came with each bag yet until I do do my final water change. It says it binds the ECO together so it will clear up faster and it also says that it could raise the PH and KH up for 6 to 8 weeks?
So I guess I will put my co2 controller back on line for those weeks until it settles down. Over all I do like the look . I have my dirty old filter running over night and for a couple of more days before clean it. Tomorrow I do my planting , My fish are in a 56qt container with sponge filter and heater.
I added my tank water before tearing it down to so I can pour that back in.I will take some pic's