This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing C. balansae with C. helferi?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by George Farmer, Sep 8, 2007.

1. George Farmer

George Farmer Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:10 PM
    My crypt balansae is going mad in my 125 l. (33 gal.). The leaves are over 3 foot long now.

[​IMG]

I've always liked the look of Cyperus helferi with its finer, smooth leaves.

I was thinking - rather than cause a disaster by uprooting all the balansae, could I simply cut the leaves off at the roots? And let the roots do there own thing - rot or whatever, perhaps sprout new leaves that I simply keep cutting back.

I've read on the Tropica website that this is a recommended method.

Any tips for Cyperus helferi? Will I need to boost my light from 1wpg...?

Does it like flow?

I have good CO2, substrate and ferts.

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Crypts grow so well and come back so well when the leaves die back, I doubt that cutting all of the leave off would do more than temporarily slow down the growth. But, what I really think is that is a spectactular tank and an even better photo. Let me guess: you photoshopped yourself taking the photo into the photo?

3. George Farmer

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ha, ha. Thanks, Hoppy.

That is not me but a fellow founder of the UK Aquatic Plant Society, Graeme Edwards. It was taken during our first ever "real" (as opposed to the Internet) meeting. If you're interested you can see us here - UK Aquatic Plant Society Main Website

It's thanks mostly to Tom Barr that it all started, actually...

Anyway, I digress.

I have been given a tip about using a knife or pastry cutter to cut the crypt roots, then simply pull out the plant.

I will miss the balansae, it is awesome! I may start by losing just the one side first and replacing that.

Thanks again.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    C helfeni will get too big, but a little bushier than C balansae(must have 24" or taller tank for this "weed").

I'd opt for something else.

Consider Rotala Green for those sides.
    They make nice bunches that can be pruned to look very aesthetic.
    Hygros also.

These are not grassy plants, but..........
    E vivipara is also an option.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. George Farmer

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, Tom.

I did consider Rotala sp. "Green", as I'm keen to use the scissors again after almost 12 months...

I'd need to up the lighting though, it's only 2 x18w T8. I have another 2 x 18w fixture spare (takes me to 2wpg).

Hmmm.