This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Replacement for TMG - what micros do you use?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by tefsom85, Apr 30, 2013.

1. tefsom85

tefsom85 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:56 AM
    Hi all,
    been on a hiatus for a couple years and realized my favorite micro, Tropica Master Grow aka Tropica Plant Nutrition, has been discontinued. I know people have used CSM+B as a micro but am curious how it compares to TMG. I had always thought the concensus was that TMG was better. So.. what's your favorite micro?
    Will

#1 tefsom85, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I dope the CMS+B with some Fe DTPA and some Fe Gluconate myself, around a 3:1:1 or 4:1:1 ratio CMS: Fe DTPA: Fe Gluconate.

So say 3 tsp of CMS, 1 tsp of DTPA and 1 TSP Fe Gluc in 500 mls of hot tap water.

3. tefsom85

tefsom85 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Source for both Fe Gluconate AND Fe DTPA?

After some searching, it seems the Fe Gluconate has a weak chelator which I would guess is to 'spike' the iron content while the Fe DTPA has a stronger chelator for a slower, more sustained release into the water column. Am I understanding this correctly?

Also, I'm having a hard time finding a source which carries the CSM+B and both the Fe Gluconate and Fe DTPA. Most places have the CSM+B and one or the other of the Fe types. Can anyone point me to a source that carries all 3? (I'm cheap and would prefer to pay shipping only once.)

4. PK1

PK1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I recently searched as well and ended up buying them from different places. You can buy higher quantities to last you a long time; either way still cheaper than TMG.

5. PK1

PK1 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    While you're at it you may also want to buy some MnSO4. It is debatable as to whether or not it is really needed but you might as well add it. Do a search for "the good shit", there was a lot of good discussion about it.