Replace my Limnophila

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

I'm thinking at replacing my Limnophila aquatica and sessiflora with some more beautiful plants that also grow a bit slower than this speedy sessiflora.

I've got the tank in my signature, 220W for 60G tank (40G real volume measured), with 4xT5 bulbs put at some 12in from water surface + a plexiglass between them and the water. I dose EI + gas CO2. GH 6-8 and KH near 3

I thought switching to these ones:
- Pogostemon stellatus
- Rotala wallichii
- Didiplis diandra (I fear it is a too slow growing one though)

Do you think they are really very hard to grow plants? What beautiful plants do you advice as a replacement?

I appreciate any advice

jka5ydlduvehjmcp93-p1050649.jpg

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

With good c02, light, and nutes just about every plant is a weed.... some more so than others..

I have had my P. stellata and my d. diandra grow 6" in the last 10 days.

And that is with lights almost 20" above the surface...

Just about any stem is going to grow fast with the light you have......

Why not try some carpet plants and/or crypts, etc?

Or best to reduce your lighting so that growth is slowed..........this will reduce c02 and other nutrient demand...........so growth is more manageable........

You have way more light than you need...........your light levels are going to drive growth, so decide how much work you want to do and adjust the light,c02,dosing to match that goal.

Hope this helps.

rich815

Guru Class Expert
Jun 26, 2008
Albany, California
jonny_ftm;36368 said:
Hi,

I'm thinking at replacing my Limnophila aquatica and sessiflora with some more beautiful plants that also grow a bit slower than this speedy sessiflora.

I've got the tank in my signature, 220W for 60G tank (40G real volume measured), with 4xT5 bulbs put at some 12in from water surface + a plexiglass between them and the water. I dose EI + gas CO2. GH 6-8 and KH near 3

I thought switching to these ones:
- Pogostemon stellatus
- Rotala wallichii
- Didiplis diandra (I fear it is a too slow growing one though)

Do you think they are really very hard to grow plants? What beautiful plants do you advice as a replacement?

I appreciate any advice

All three of those will grow fast too in good conditions. If you want something slower but with a nice feathered look consider Hygro. balsmica. Many plantfinders list it as fast growing but for me in my high tech 72 gal it grows about 1/2 fast as the limno. sessiflora.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Many thanks for all the feedback,

Actually, except the Limnophila, the growth of the other plants is for me largely acceptable (Altercanthera, Ludwigia Repens, Hygro Corymbosa, one stem of H. Polysperma, crypto, java fern, echino, anubia)

In the middle, I already put some carpet plants: pogostemon helferi

So, based on your info, I'll try the Pogostemon stellatus or Rotala wallichii, depending on what I can find. The D. diandra seems hard to find in my area. If they also grow too fast, I could put the light higher indeed.

Many thanks again for all these info

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Ok, I see,

At least it is more beautiful than my Limnophila Sessiflora :)

I never saw it in my area, neither the H. Balsamica you told me about.

So, probably, I'm left with the Rotala W.

By the way, the L. Aquatica grows much slower than the L. Sessiflora and is more beautiful. I could keep it but the problem with L. Aquatica is the base foliage turns black vers soon and old stems need to be replaced by new ones often to keep a nice appearing mass.

Rotala Wallichii would also have the same issue? Loosing the base leaves too often with the need to replace old stems by new ones every 1-2 weeks?

rich815

Guru Class Expert
Jun 26, 2008
Albany, California
jonny_ftm;36388 said:
Ok, I see,

At least it is more beautiful than my Limnophila Sessiflora :)

I never saw it in my area, neither the H. Balsamica you told me about.

So, probably, I'm left with the Rotala W.

By the way, the L. Aquatica grows much slower than the L. Sessiflora and is more beautiful. I could keep it but the problem with L. Aquatica is the base foliage turns black vers soon and old stems need to be replaced by new ones often to keep a nice appearing mass.

Rotala Wallichii would also have the same issue? Loosing the base leaves too often with the need to replace old stems by new ones every 1-2 weeks?

R. wallichii will need some pretty strong light and very good CO2 to do well I think. Where are you located? I could send you a snip of H. balsamica just for shipping cost ($4).

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
rich815;36389 said:
R. wallichii will need some pretty strong light and very good CO2 to do well I think. Where are you located? I could send you a snip of H. balsamica just for shipping cost ($4).

You're nice, but I live in Europe :(

About Rotala W., it should do fine with my setup, no?