This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Reineckii mini struggling

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by TyS, May 6, 2014.

1. TyS

TyS Subscriber

Local Time:
    11:42 PM
    Hi guys ,
    Just looking some advice on my reineckii mini plants as they don't seem to be doing very well ..
    Water parameters are great and everything else in the tank seems to be doing exceptionally well, with the EI ferts, co2 and lighting I currently have . Others species include hygrophila, rotala , staurogyne, ludwigia and even a new buce plant ..
    But the reineckii seems not to be growing well, has gsa on lower leaves and it just not doing much
    Any advice would be be greatly appreciated ?

2. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    3:42 PM
    Do you have any pictures? That would help.

3. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:42 PM
    Keep those leaves clean with a soft toothbrush or something.

I wouldn't be happy in the sun half covered in muck either, unless I was holding a cold beverage.

4. Jarod

Jarod Junior Poster

Local Time:
    All but two plants in your tank will grow well in in lower light. Does your staurogyn grow slow? I'm guessing its light

5. vvDO

vvDO Junior Poster

Local Time:
    My A.r. Mini took a while to start growing, had a little trouble keeping it in substrate. I would also pull off leaves which looked like they were not doing well. This encouraged the plant to grow thicker and once the roots established it started to really grow.

6. Bloomer

Bloomer Lifetime Members

Local Time:
    In tanks with a lot of fish, mine develops algae on the lower leaves, too little light has similar effects, but I think the big thing is none of my tanks have CO2, so there are limits on how fast mini can take in nutrients, although my substrates seem to be doing quite well for red plants. I know for certain that if I over do ferts or let water changes slip, algae gets an advantage and it takes a lot of cleaning and water replacement to get the water column lean enough to cause the algae to gradually fall off the leaves, but it will. I agree with picking off the algae'd leaves and top the plants periodically and replant, even if they're a few inches tall. They should get going eventually. Pull the old stems. Here's one in a 55 with only a few fish, looks great!

DSC_7036ASs.JPG

7. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    3:42 PM
    Hey Bloomer,

Can you explain the difference between the mini and regular? The sizes I don't see any difference...Does it have smaller leaves than the regular version? Yours is already tall. Thanks for the picture, looks beautiful.

8. Bloomer

Bloomer Lifetime Members

Local Time:
    I'll try, AR varieties are a bit confusing, not sure I know half of them, I have the roseafolia, mini and variegated cultivars. Roseafolia has pink and red types (IMO, they seem the same), then there's the telanthera cardinalis nomenclature...I'm not yet straight on the names.

Anyway, in my tanks, mini is a more compact, somewhat slower growing plant than the other two with a bit smaller leaves, not much smaller. Roseafolia is the biggest in clump size and height and tends to have bicolored leaves except at the very top. Mini leaves are pink/magenta, much more red if I use iron tabs. However, in low light, mini gets leggy and drops lots of lower leaves, but will live if not over fertilized. It can get tall seeking light, I have some in a tall betta tank that's probably 2 ft long, winding here and there, doesn't look the greatest, though.

The plant in my pic is well over a foot tall now and more bushy; I dare not mess with it! Lighting in that 55 is a twin tube t5 H O, zoo med ultra sun and true lumen flora. Here are pics of variegated and roseafolia, the differences are fairly clear. The roseafolia pic shows what happens if my water column gets too rich, a big pwc made the algae fall off in week or so. Lighting in those two tanks is similar to the 55 gal in intensity, but different tubes.

DSC_7037s.JPG

DSC_4318A.JPG

9. SouthFL

SouthFL Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Anyone selling AR mini?

10. PhilipS

PhilipS Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:42 PM
    I have a bunch. PM me.

11. Overfloater

Overfloater Member

Local Time:
    I have a bunch as well. PM me if your interested.

The mini version IME, grows slower and becomes very bushy. Also the red color seems to be more solid.

12. krissy

krissy Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    AR mini grows to about 6-8 inches tall for me. The color is much more redder. I've grown them side by side and the regular ar is more of a rust color.