Regulator Troubles...

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
So.... I bought an Aquarium plants regulator about 6 months ago and recently bought a 3 way manifold . When trying to install the manifold the fitting was the wrong size, but only because an adapter was pvc glued tightly in the solenoid valve's outflow. I put the needle valve that was previously in that fitting and cranked it in there (like a crazed idiot) thinking i could make it so tight that when I loosened it would just slide right out . I tightened it so much that i stripped out the needle valve and can't remove it. I could hacksaw the screw and use a hex wrench to unscrew it but that wouldn't really fix the problem. How could I free the adapter from its loctite or pvc putty? All I need to do is get the adapter out from the solenoid valve and the problem's pretty much solved. Sorry to be so wordy.
thanks,
Creighton

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
Thanks. I managed to get the bubble valve out. What should I screw in there to get the adapter out when I heat it? Do you think if I loctite a bolt in there that fits and unscrew it would the heat weaken the loctite, or is that even a plasuable solution?
thanks,
Creighton

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
Yes I'm afraid heat would soften or loosen the lock tight, but perhaps if you just heat the screw itself it will expand long enough to seize, and back it out ? Very difficult for me to say without seeing the valve assembly ... Wish I could be of more help. You could also try peening a couple threads of the screw before you thread it in to get it to seize, but that may prove to be difficult to remove later ? :confused: Grtz, Prof M

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
...so maybe if I get a longer screw so I can heat the screw mostly by itself. What about acetone, or laquer thiner? I hope I don't have to buy a new solenoid....thanks for all your help Professer Myers. By the way, where and what do you teach?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
PVC glue actually welds the PVC, so the two pieces are a single piece. I doubt that you can remove the screwed in part, if it is PVC and is PVC glued in place. One possibility which I can't evaluate without looking at the parts, is to drill out most of the glued in part, then use a tap to retap the pipe threads in the solenoid valve. This can easily ruin it, especially if you either crack it, or get shavings down into the valve. But, if you have to toss it anyway, why not try something like that?

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
creighton;17583 said:
...so maybe if I get a longer screw so I can heat the screw mostly by itself. What about acetone, or laquer thiner? I hope I don't have to buy a new solenoid....thanks for all your help Professer Myers. By the way, where and what do you teach?

No Solvents ! & Suffice to say I once taught Marine Biology ! Past tense...I'm Retired W/ very little patience for Administration it would seem... :p The moniker stuck with me over the years. Apparently I'm a teensy bit pedantic...:rolleyes: Prof M

Professor Myers

Guru Class Expert
Aug 24, 2006
VaughnH;17586 said:
PVC glue actually welds the PVC, so the two pieces are a single piece. I doubt that you can remove the screwed in part, if it is PVC and is PVC glued in place. One possibility which I can't evaluate without looking at the parts, is to drill out most of the glued in part, then use a tap to retap the pipe threads in the solenoid valve. This can easily ruin it, especially if you either crack it, or get shavings down into the valve. But, if you have to toss it anyway, why not try something like that?

Your idea makes the most sense at this point. You could soften the plastic first W/ Methylene Chloride, but run the risk of damaging any plastics within the solenoid itself ? That and I really don't suggest anyone who is unfamiliar with MC wetting their wick on it as a learning project. :eek:

Moral of Story: Buy quality components, and easy does it ! :(

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
I called the nice folks at Aquariumplants.com and the told me that the fitting can be removed with an allen wrench. The guy said to be very careful or I may strip the threads :( . I'm scared...but it better than mailing it back.